The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 26, 2012, 09:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Final Four Officials

I saw this list posted elsewhere:

Pat Adams, Roger Ayers, Joe DeRosa, Tom Eades, Verne Harris, Les Jones, Jamie Luckie, Doug Shows, Mike Stuart, & Mark Whitehead
Old Mon Mar 26, 2012, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

People will certainly have differing opinions, but my take is that isn't a bad list.
I'm pleasantly surprised to not see Hightower, Valentine, or Hall.
Time for others to have the big stage.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

One has to be the standby official, and of that list I believe the only two who were never an on-court or standby official for a Final Four are Roger Ayers and Joe DeRosa (of course he has done quite a few NBA Finals games).

I would think the most well known active official who has never done a Final Four is Bryan Kersey.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
One has to be the standby official, and of that list I believe the only two who were never an on-court or standby official for a Final Four are Roger Ayers and Joe DeRosa (of course he has done quite a few NBA Finals games).

I would think the most well known active official who has never done a Final Four is Bryan Kersey.
Of the current officials, you are probably correct. However, the recently retired Steve Welmer would top that list if we included everyone.

One of the articles which I read attributed this to the fact that John Adams doesn't favor guys who work so many games. Welmer worked 124 one season and Kersey took over doing the most after Welmer stopped, working 100 games.

Here are a couple of articles on the selection of the officials to the tournament and the Final Four:

?It was a dream come true? - NCAA.com

College basketball referee at the top of his game | Kansan.com

From Sweet 16 to Elite Eight: What Teams and Officials Advance | Bleacher Report
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 07:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
People will certainly have differing opinions, but my take is that isn't a bad list.
I'm pleasantly surprised to not see Hightower, Valentine, or Hall.
Time for others to have the big stage.
I wish that mentality trickled down to the HS level so that instead of seeing the same people selected year after year after year, other capable officials would get an opportunity.

Of course the list of those going aren't a bunch of guys who haven't gone before -- seems from an above post (which I do't care to check) that 8 of 10 have been there before and DeRosa is a special case (since he's worked in the NBA Finals). I'm sure there are a lot of officials who have never been who would do a fantastic job. Too bad more of them haven't gone.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Tom Eades is one of my favorites to watch. I sat on the first row right behind the table at a game a couple of years ago. He is pretty funny.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Tom Eades is one of my favorites to watch. I sat on the first row right behind the table at a game a couple of years ago. He is pretty funny.
Eades: Funny how? What's funny about it?

zm: You got it all wrong.

Eades: He's a big boy. He knows what he said. Funny, how?

zm: Just, you know. You're funny.

Eades: Let me understand this. Maybe I'm a little fu**ed up. But I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I'm here to fu**ing amuse you?
What do you mean, funny? How am I funny?

zm: You know, how you tell a story.

Eades: I don't know. You said it. You said I'm funny. How am I funny? What the f**k is so funny about me? Tell me what's funny.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 09:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
He was also on the crew that allowed Ohio to shoot unmerited free throws in overtime vs. UNC. Personally I didn't expect anybody from that crew to move on after that. Not to say that officials who make mistakes shouldn't advance, just that the crew basically kicked a rule at a crucial point in the game. Considering officials get suspended by conference supervisors for kicking rules I was assuming such a mistake would prevent one from advancing in the NCAA tournament.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Eades: Funny how? What's funny about it?

zm: You got it all wrong.

Eades: He's a big boy. He knows what he said. Funny, how?

zm: Just, you know. You're funny.

Eades: Let me understand this. Maybe I'm a little fu**ed up. But I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I'm here to fu**ing amuse you?
What do you mean, funny? How am I funny?

zm: You know, how you tell a story.

Eades: I don't know. You said it. You said I'm funny. How am I funny? What the f**k is so funny about me? Tell me what's funny.
One of my favorite movie scenes ever!
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 09:45am
Huck Finn

I think Michael Stephens is worthy of making that list. Has Pat Adams been to the final four before? James Breeding would be a good one too.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
He was also on the crew that allowed Ohio to shoot unmerited free throws in overtime vs. UNC. Personally I didn't expect anybody from that crew to move on after that. Not to say that officials who make mistakes shouldn't advance, just that the crew basically kicked a rule at a crucial point in the game. Considering officials get suspended by conference supervisors for kicking rules I was assuming such a mistake would prevent one from advancing in the NCAA tournament.
Why do you think that John Adams or anyone involved with the selection of the NCAA tournament officials is aware that such a mistake was made?

It is entirely possible that the NCAA observer missed it.
Did someone send an email? Do you think that those folks read this site?
Have you seen an article in the press mentioning it?
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Terry Wymer deserves his first final four!
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Eades or Ayres

Mike and Roger kinda came up together via Fred Barakat in the late 90's....

Who do you guys think is better.........
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 12:33pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Mike and Roger kinda came up together via Fred Barakat in the late 90's....

Who do you guys think is better.........
I think they have some similarities...probably because they came up together. That old regime (RIP Fred) had a long-term vision philosophy. It is nice to see those two and others thought so highly of.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I think they have some similarities...probably because they came up together. That old regime (RIP Fred) had a long-term vision philosophy. It is nice to see those two and others thought so highly of.
Very well put........Don't know if you went to any of Fred's camps but they were some of if not the best camps ever offered......

Eades by a nose....