The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Final Four Officials (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90253-final-four-officials.html)

Rich Mon Mar 26, 2012 09:09pm

Final Four Officials

I saw this list posted elsewhere:

Pat Adams, Roger Ayers, Joe DeRosa, Tom Eades, Verne Harris, Les Jones, Jamie Luckie, Doug Shows, Mike Stuart, & Mark Whitehead

Nevadaref Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:38pm

People will certainly have differing opinions, but my take is that isn't a bad list.
I'm pleasantly surprised to not see Hightower, Valentine, or Hall.
Time for others to have the big stage.

tmagan Tue Mar 27, 2012 02:32am

One has to be the standby official, and of that list I believe the only two who were never an on-court or standby official for a Final Four are Roger Ayers and Joe DeRosa (of course he has done quite a few NBA Finals games).

I would think the most well known active official who has never done a Final Four is Bryan Kersey.

Nevadaref Tue Mar 27, 2012 07:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmagan (Post 834458)
One has to be the standby official, and of that list I believe the only two who were never an on-court or standby official for a Final Four are Roger Ayers and Joe DeRosa (of course he has done quite a few NBA Finals games).

I would think the most well known active official who has never done a Final Four is Bryan Kersey.

Of the current officials, you are probably correct. However, the recently retired Steve Welmer would top that list if we included everyone.

One of the articles which I read attributed this to the fact that John Adams doesn't favor guys who work so many games. Welmer worked 124 one season and Kersey took over doing the most after Welmer stopped, working 100 games.

Here are a couple of articles on the selection of the officials to the tournament and the Final Four:

?It was a dream come true? - NCAA.com

College basketball referee at the top of his game | Kansan.com

From Sweet 16 to Elite Eight: What Teams and Officials Advance | Bleacher Report

Rich Tue Mar 27, 2012 07:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 834449)
People will certainly have differing opinions, but my take is that isn't a bad list.
I'm pleasantly surprised to not see Hightower, Valentine, or Hall.
Time for others to have the big stage.

I wish that mentality trickled down to the HS level so that instead of seeing the same people selected year after year after year, other capable officials would get an opportunity.

Of course the list of those going aren't a bunch of guys who haven't gone before -- seems from an above post (which I do't care to check) that 8 of 10 have been there before and DeRosa is a special case (since he's worked in the NBA Finals). I'm sure there are a lot of officials who have never been who would do a fantastic job. Too bad more of them haven't gone.

zm1283 Tue Mar 27, 2012 09:14am

Tom Eades is one of my favorites to watch. I sat on the first row right behind the table at a game a couple of years ago. He is pretty funny.

tref Tue Mar 27, 2012 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 834492)
Tom Eades is one of my favorites to watch. I sat on the first row right behind the table at a game a couple of years ago. He is pretty funny.

Eades: Funny how? What's funny about it?

zm: You got it all wrong.

Eades: He's a big boy. He knows what he said. Funny, how?

zm: Just, you know. You're funny.

Eades: Let me understand this. Maybe I'm a little fu**ed up. But I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I'm here to fu**ing amuse you?
What do you mean, funny? How am I funny?

zm: You know, how you tell a story.

Eades: I don't know. You said it. You said I'm funny. How am I funny? What the f**k is so funny about me? Tell me what's funny.

Raymond Tue Mar 27, 2012 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 834492)

He was also on the crew that allowed Ohio to shoot unmerited free throws in overtime vs. UNC. Personally I didn't expect anybody from that crew to move on after that. Not to say that officials who make mistakes shouldn't advance, just that the crew basically kicked a rule at a crucial point in the game. Considering officials get suspended by conference supervisors for kicking rules I was assuming such a mistake would prevent one from advancing in the NCAA tournament.

Judtech Tue Mar 27, 2012 09:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 834494)
Eades: Funny how? What's funny about it?

zm: You got it all wrong.

Eades: He's a big boy. He knows what he said. Funny, how?

zm: Just, you know. You're funny.

Eades: Let me understand this. Maybe I'm a little fu**ed up. But I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I'm here to fu**ing amuse you?
What do you mean, funny? How am I funny?

zm: You know, how you tell a story.

Eades: I don't know. You said it. You said I'm funny. How am I funny? What the f**k is so funny about me? Tell me what's funny.

One of my favorite movie scenes ever!

tomegun Tue Mar 27, 2012 09:45am

I think Michael Stephens is worthy of making that list. Has Pat Adams been to the final four before? James Breeding would be a good one too.

Nevadaref Tue Mar 27, 2012 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 834497)
He was also on the crew that allowed Ohio to shoot unmerited free throws in overtime vs. UNC. Personally I didn't expect anybody from that crew to move on after that. Not to say that officials who make mistakes shouldn't advance, just that the crew basically kicked a rule at a crucial point in the game. Considering officials get suspended by conference supervisors for kicking rules I was assuming such a mistake would prevent one from advancing in the NCAA tournament.

Why do you think that John Adams or anyone involved with the selection of the NCAA tournament officials is aware that such a mistake was made?

It is entirely possible that the NCAA observer missed it.
Did someone send an email? Do you think that those folks read this site?
Have you seen an article in the press mentioning it?

youngref33 Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:29am

Terry Wymer deserves his first final four!

Multiple Sports Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:12pm

Eades or Ayres

Mike and Roger kinda came up together via Fred Barakat in the late 90's....

Who do you guys think is better.........

tomegun Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 834512)
Mike and Roger kinda came up together via Fred Barakat in the late 90's....

Who do you guys think is better.........

I think they have some similarities...probably because they came up together. That old regime (RIP Fred) had a long-term vision philosophy. It is nice to see those two and others thought so highly of.

Multiple Sports Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 834514)
I think they have some similarities...probably because they came up together. That old regime (RIP Fred) had a long-term vision philosophy. It is nice to see those two and others thought so highly of.

Very well put........Don't know if you went to any of Fred's camps but they were some of if not the best camps ever offered......

Eades by a nose....