The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 09:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

OT - Office politics

Judging by the off season email traffic in my association, I think I need to take up golf.
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 10:00am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Judging by the off season email traffic in my association, I think I need to take up golf.
Me, too.

I got elected to the Board of our Association at the end of this past season. We have met once already to deal with one "discipline" issue, and I just got an e-mail this morning that there is now another "issue" we have to meet about.

Gonna be a long summer.
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 10:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Welcome to the sausage making factory guys.

Peace
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 10:28am
Back from the DL

Should we interpret this as advice to stay away from elected office?
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 10:41am
Do not give a damn!!

I just wish more people would attempt to be on boards or run organizations, then they would see that all these things they want cannot happen as easily.

Peace
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

My association sent out a very short email last week that they lost 3 major school districts in the area. They called a special meeting tonight so I will find out what they say about it. I will be bringing some popcorn - should be entertaining. I am also strongly considering moving to the association that picked up those districts since I am not a big fan of the association I joined when I moved here. May have to travel a bit further, but it might be worth it. Association politics are not fun from either end...
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 10:53am
Archaic Power Monger

I ended up taking this year's baseball / softball season off this year and have not thought about officiating at all and have managed to avoid the politics thankfully. Now that football season is coming and training classes are starting, I'm getting back into it. It was the break I needed.

Last edited by Welpe; Wed May 05, 2010 at 10:56am.
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 12:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I swear this really happened. I'm on the Board of our local kids rec league and have been for 17 years. About 5 years ago, a bunch of guys formed a "competitive" league for kids in 5th - 8th grades. That's fine with us, although our "ranks" were depleted somewhat. We rent gym space for practices and games from the school district as does that group. The school district's policy is to give our group preference on times and gyms because we are an "inclusive" organization that lets all kids play, regardless of financial situation or ability, while they consider the other group "exclusive". We meet independently with a rep from the other group prior to the season to go over dates and gym space before going to the school district. Sometimes there are conflicts that can't be resolved and we leave it up to the school district rep. Conflicts also come up during the season as they add tournaments and such.

Each year, we appoint a Board member as the liaison to the other group. Our Board president asked me to take that job for next season. His thinking was that since I also referee some of their games, "they wouldn't dare give me any crap" (a direct quote from him) about gym space, since they wouldn't want to take the chance of me holding it against them during games!!!

I couldn't believe he was serious. Everyone knows me better than that (except him, apparently). I told him to go jump in the lake.
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 01:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I just wish more people would attempt to be on boards or run organizations, then they would see that all these things they want cannot happen as easily.

Peace
Amen. I got elected president of my association. "Ugh" is all I can say.
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 01:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I swear this really happened. I'm on the Board of our local kids rec league and have been for 17 years. About 5 years ago, a bunch of guys formed a "competitive" league for kids in 5th - 8th grades. That's fine with us, although our "ranks" were depleted somewhat. We rent gym space for practices and games from the school district as does that group. The school district's policy is to give our group preference on times and gyms because we are an "inclusive" organization that lets all kids play, regardless of financial situation or ability, while they consider the other group "exclusive". We meet independently with a rep from the other group prior to the season to go over dates and gym space before going to the school district. Sometimes there are conflicts that can't be resolved and we leave it up to the school district rep. Conflicts also come up during the season as they add tournaments and such.

Each year, we appoint a Board member as the liaison to the other group. Our Board president asked me to take that job for next season. His thinking was that since I also referee some of their games, "they wouldn't dare give me any crap" (a direct quote from him) about gym space, since they wouldn't want to take the chance of me holding it against them during games!!!

I couldn't believe he was serious. Everyone knows me better than that (except him, apparently). I told him to go jump in the lake.
I thought you were going to tell us that the liaison for the other group was a "hot mom" and everything is just hunky-dorry between the 2 groups.
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
My association sent out a very short email last week that they lost 3 major school districts in the area. They called a special meeting tonight so I will find out what they say about it. I will be bringing some popcorn - should be entertaining. I am also strongly considering moving to the association that picked up those districts since I am not a big fan of the association I joined when I moved here. May have to travel a bit further, but it might be worth it. Association politics are not fun from either end...
Smitty we would love to have you....I've been a member for 2 seasons and I have to tell you they really do a lot of things right and as a result school districts have taken notice.
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
Smitty we would love to have you....I've been a member for 2 seasons and I have to tell you they really do a lot of things right and as a result school districts have taken notice.
Thanks for that - I sent you a private message. I am looking forward to the change. It only took one season to become disgruntled with the whole organization - it sounds like the chapter you're referring to is run a lot like what I am used to from my time in Portland. I am pretty sure I will be much happier there.
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

I have decided I will not accept elected office again until they look at the internship program!!!
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Thanks for that - I sent you a private message. I am looking forward to the change. It only took one season to become disgruntled with the whole organization - it sounds like the chapter you're referring to is run a lot like what I am used to from my time in Portland. I am pretty sure I will be much happier there.
Smitty, be careful about voicing your displeasure, the walls have ears (eyes in this case) and you don't know who is watching. Things are cyclical and change does happen. You just never know

Just my 2 cents
Old Thu May 06, 2010, 12:31am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
Smitty, be careful about voicing your displeasure, the walls have ears (eyes in this case) and you don't know who is watching. Things are cyclical and change does happen. You just never know

Just my 2 cents
I agree. You have to be very careful what you say here even when you think most have no idea who you are.

Peace