The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
Ummmmm you guys realize in college they can enter on the release right?
Only players in marked lane spaces...everyone else has to wait till it hits the rim/backboard.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Ahhhh got ya, I'm in a bar, no sound. The telecast focused on tube players opposit of the lane, if it was a player outside the arc its a totally different story.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

why not warn the players? you do for holding, when they can run the baseline, etc. This official was itching to call this. I've never seen it called all year, but he can high five, bc its the right call. Must have been an official meeting to watch for it and he was waiting to call it, rather than focus on obvious fouls that happen, moving screens. If its the letter of the law call traveling, palming, flopping, etc.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

I love having every game available on every channel but it has its downside-Charles Barkley and most of his Turner co-horts.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Greg Anthony.
I (somewhat) understand why CBS is using TBS's NBA crew; since CBS is using the TBS network to air games, in exchange the TBS commentators get air on CBS.

But surely someone has told them if they are going to rag on officials, that they need to understand the rules and philosophies are different from what they know about the NBA.

Surely. Someone?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy25 View Post
why not warn the players? you do for holding, when they can run the baseline, etc. This official was itching to call this. I've never seen it called all year, but he can high five, bc its the right call. Must have been an official meeting to watch for it and he was waiting to call it, rather than focus on obvious fouls that happen, moving screens. If its the letter of the law call traveling, palming, flopping, etc.
I've haven't seen players run in from the three point line...4-5 steps early all year. If a player violates so clearly before you can warn them, that's on them. It's the same with fouls...if a player fouls before you can warn them, that's still on them.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I (somewhat) understand why CBS is using TBS's NBA crew; since CBS is using the TBS network to air games, in exchange the TBS commentators get air on CBS.

But surely someone has told them if they are going to rag on officials, that they need to understand the rules and philosophies are different from what they know about the NBA.

Surely. Someone?
Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agreed.

Also, who was the other commentator that effectively said the officials should not have penalized the lane violation, but just given them a warning first?

Stupid commentators.
To be fair to Kenny Smith, I believe his point was that if you see a player lined up on the arc, looking like he's going to go get the rebound come hell or high water, you can preventatively say "make sure it hits the rim." I have done this before.

I don't think he meant warn rather than penalize after the act.

We now return to the extremely well-deserved bashing of Sir Charles.

Last edited by lpneck; Sat Mar 17, 2012 at 12:08am.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
...you can preventatively say "make sure it hits the rim." I have done this before.
Why? It doesn't have to hit the rim before he enters.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Drats, you beat me to it.

(Used with permission.)
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For that matter, it may never hit the rim and still be legal.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
To be fair to Kenny Smith, I believe his point was that if you see a player lined up on the arc, looking like he's going to go get the rebound come hell or high water, you can preventatively say "make sure it hits the rim." I have done this before.

I don't think he meant warn rather than penalize after the act.

We now return to the extremely well-deserved bashing of Sir Charles.
Maybe that's what he meant, but that's not the impression I got when I heard it. I wish APG had access to more video...

While I understand sometimes saying something to a player, at that level they better know a basic rule like this on their own. Or, it's on their coaching staff for not properly preparing them. But if the player does it that obviously, it should be called. Or, the officials will not advance to the next round.

(Used with permission.)
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 03:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe that's what he meant, but that's not the impression I got when I heard it. I wish APG had access to more video...

While I understand sometimes saying something to a player, at that level they better know a basic rule like this on their own. Or, it's on their coaching staff for not properly preparing them. But if the player does it that obviously, it should be called. Or, the officials will not advance to the next round.
I have no problem saying something to a player - I do it in H.S. and college - to keep them from going inside the three-point arc too early if they're not on the lane. It's no different than talking kids out of the lane for three seconds and a number of my assignors over the years have encouraged it.

That being said, if the kid has a brain lock and goes in - especially after I tell them "remember, let it hit" - that's on them.

And yes, I know it doesn't have to hit anything for them to go inside the three-point arc but if they're waiting for the ball to hit something and it doesn't they're not at a disadvantage since that's a violation on the shooter.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 07:14am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredmchn View Post
I agree. He needs to stick to the NBA. Referees shouldn't decide the game, players should he says. Well, a player decided to break a rule. I wonder how long HE would last with a whistle.
If it is anything like his golf swing....
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 09:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy25 View Post
So, uh, what's a moving screen?

This is a great time of year on the board....

Silly fans.