The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Barkley vs Bavetta (OT)

Heard them talking about this on the local sports radio and did a quick google search:

http://nfl.aolsportsblog.com/2007/01...arks-get-set/2
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 03:18pm
M.A.S.H.

I've got my bet on Bavetta.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

It would be great if Dicky B won!

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

No contest. Bavetta by a mile. I doubt Chucky has even broken a sweat since he retired.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 03:24pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
No contest. Bavetta by a mile. I doubt Chucky has even broken a sweat since he retired.
I don't know if I'd say that...he takes eating very serious.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
I've got my bet on Bavetta.
This started during halftime of some TNT game and Barkely said something about Bavetta and his age. I don't even remember why. He said he could beat him in a race down the court and the rest of the panel said "No you couldn't". One of them said they should have a race, Barkely ignored the suggestion. It was pretty funny, would be cool to see them race. Be more exciting than that stupid dunk contest.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

This won't happen, of course, but it WOULD be fun to see! If it is a short race (e.g., the length of the court), I would be stunned, STUNNED if Barkley did not win. He may be out of shape, but he was a world class athlete after all!

I have an out of shape friend who was one of the top scoring college basketball players in the late 80s. He can still beat me handily in short races -- he just has the natural speed and athleticism that I never had or will have. I run 25-30 miles per week during the winter and 45-60 miles per week in the summer and I can take my buddy with no problem at anything 1 mile or longer, but in the short races, the naturally faster person will win almost every time.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Word was last night the length of the race was approx. 100 yds. Down and back twice, and then to half court. Dicky B. is donating 25,000 to charity and looking for Chuck to match it.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

i dont think barkley was ever naturally fast...

chuck shouldnt have a hard time matching Dick B -- he could win that amount in one handof black jack and he is in vegas after all
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
i dont think barkley was ever naturally fast...
Not fast when compared to other professional athletes, but yes very fast when compared to the average person. Of course, I don't know Bavetta's background so maybe he was something of a gifted athlete himself....
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

hes 9,345,678 years old and he keeps with with NBA athletes -- hes got to be in pretty darn good shape -- plus he weighs like 4 pounds so he should be light as heck off his feet
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 06:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtg19
This won't happen, of course, but it WOULD be fun to see! If it is a short race (e.g., the length of the court), I would be stunned, STUNNED if Barkley did not win. He may be out of shape, but he was a world class athlete after all!

I have an out of shape friend who was one of the top scoring college basketball players in the late 80s. He can still beat me handily in short races -- he just has the natural speed and athleticism that I never had or will have. I run 25-30 miles per week during the winter and 45-60 miles per week in the summer and I can take my buddy with no problem at anything 1 mile or longer, but in the short races, the naturally faster person will win almost every time.
Ummm, this is happening, you know.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

It should be interesting to see....

Take this into consideration: it'll be much tougher for a 300+ lb guy to slow down and touch the line than it is for a shorter and smaller person. If they were to sprint down a football field, Barkley should have an edge bc he was an ex athlete. But if we are talking about sprinting, slowing down, touch the line, sprint back, slow down, touch the line, and finally spring across the half court line, I think Bevetta will definitely have an advantage for being smaller and quicker.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 06:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
It should be interesting to see....

Take this into consideration: it'll be much tougher for a 300+ lb guy to slow down and touch the line than it is for a shorter and smaller person. If they were to sprint down a football field, Barkley should have an edge bc he was an ex athlete. But if we are talking about sprinting, slowing down, touch the line, sprint back, slow down, touch the line, and finally spring across the half court line, I think Bevetta will definitely have an advantage for being smaller and quicker.
On top of that, he's used to stopping and changing direction like that. But it should be interesting -- while Bavetta's in great shape and does run for distance every day, he doesn't look like a speed demon during a game.

And Barkley is probably closer to 350 than 300 these days.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

barkley's weight is close to my estimation of bavetta's age of 9,345,678