The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Charles Barkley... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89932-charles-barkley.html)

VTOfficial Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:30pm

Charles Barkley...

...go home. That was quite a rant in the studio after the ND/Xavier game. Apparently rules weren't meant to be enforced the entire 40 minutes of the game.

bgredmchn Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:35pm

I agree. He needs to stick to the NBA. Referees shouldn't decide the game, players should he says. Well, a player decided to break a rule. I wonder how long HE would last with a whistle.

Duffman Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:35pm

Didn't hear the rant, but honestly I'm not a huge fan of the lane violation

Freddy Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:35pm

Sir Charles

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTOfficial (Post 832548)
...go home. That was quite a rant in the studio after the ND/Xavier game. Apparently rules weren't meant to be enforced the entire 40 minutes of the game.

Wasn't a lane violation, but a violation by the defender outside the circle behind the free thrower.
As to "not being a fan" of it, I'd be interested in the post-game review and how a no-call would've been critiqued had it not been called.
Quite a rant. "The officials should not decide the game like that." I guess players brainfarting like that should be overlooked, for the sake of the game. And as to the attempt to stop the clock by grabbing the opponent's shirt, yanking it out of his pants, I guess that doesn't qualify as intentional to Sir Charles.
Wow.

APG Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:36pm

He's a certified idiot.

"John Adams, I don't care if it's the rule!"

Those are clear and obvious infractions under NCAA rules. They weren't even close. Hell, under NBA rules, if that player would have grabbed that jersey like he did before the ball was released, it would be an away-from-the-play foul and be one FT for anyone on the floor and the ball back!

APG Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 832554)

That lane violation was clear as day...literally 3-4 steps on the court. You CAN'T ignore that!

David B Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 832556)
He's a certified idiot.

"John Adams, I don't care if it's the rule!"

Those are clear and obvious infractions under NCAA rules. They weren't even close. Hell, under NBA rules, if that player would have grabbed that jersey like he did before the ball was released, it would be an away-from-the-play foul and be one FT for anyone on the floor and the ball back!

Exactly. The NBA is much more strict on end of the game fouls etc.,

Thanks
David

BktBallRef Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:38pm

He's turrible.

M&M Guy Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 832559)
That lane violation was clear as day...literally 3-4 steps on the court. You CAN'T ignore that!

Agreed.

Also, who was the other commentator that effectively said the officials should not have penalized the lane violation, but just given them a warning first?

Stupid commentators.

BktBallRef Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:41pm

Greg Anthony.

Johnny Ringo Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 832554)

It has to be called. Too big of an advantage for a player of either team to enter the area below FT line extended before ball hits rim. The rule as written is not broken.

Get the ESPN guys in the studio. The ones that actually cover the college game!

Duffman Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:44pm

Ummmmm you guys realize in college they can enter on the release right?

M&M Guy Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 832569)

Ummm, not the players outside the 3-point arc.

Johnny Ringo Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 832569)

Yes, players lined up in the lane spaces, but players not lined up have same restrictions as the shooter which says ball has to hit the rim.

APG Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 832564)
Agreed.

Also, who was the other commentator that effectively said the officials should not have penalized the lane violation, but just given them a warning first?

Stupid commentators.

Players/coaches have to give us an opportunity to give them a warning...if you violate so egregiously before you can warn them, then you have to go and get it first time it happens.