The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 01:11pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Let go.... so she was not dribbling, but rather holding the ball when she lost her balance?
"The dribbler..."

She let it bounce off on its own and did not attempt to control it any longer when she realized she could not maintain her inbounds status.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Good example in first few minutes of BYU Marquette of this thread. Marquette defender swipes ball away from A1, pushes ball up court (once), as he steps tightwalks sideline............steps OOB. Tweet, OOB
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Good example in first few minutes of BYU Marquette of this thread. Marquette defender swipes ball away from A1, pushes ball up court (once), as he steps tightwalks sideline............steps OOB. Tweet, OOB
Obviously the official who made the call considered him to be dribbling.

In the OP the player gave up the dribble.

2 different plays...
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Obviously the official who made the call considered him to be dribbling.

In the OP the player gave up the dribble.

2 different plays...
wrong
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 02:34pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
obviously the official who made the call considered him to be dribbling.

In the op the player gave up the dribble.

2 different plays...
+1
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 02:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Stretching for illustrations purposes only of course.

However, do when then need to determine whether he meant to go out or not? And then would we have to wait to see how many times the ball bounced if we determine he didn't mean to go out?

I'm sympathetic to what your saying because I agree that it feels fair. I think it's a rough spot in the rules but one I don't think I've ever personally encountered in a real game.
We have to determine that anyway. We normally give the benefit of the doubt to momentum.

I've had the call once in a JV boys game. A1 trapped near the sideline about the FT line extended in his FC. Still has his dribble, but can't go anywhere. He throws it over the head of B1, towards the division line, then runs around the trap, out of bounds, to get the ball.

He wasn't in control of his dribble, but he went out for an unauthorized reason, so I blew it. Of course, it was opposite table, so the coaches likely had no idea what I called and no one questioned it.

I've also had the sideline play. A1 dribbling up court, comes up on B1 close to the sideline. He pushes his dribble slightly towards the middle of the court while he tiptoes along the sideline. Ball goes on one side of B1, A1 goes to the other. He gets around, stepping on the line in the process, comes back in and tracks the ball down to resume his dribble. No call.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
wrong
Just a wrong huh? No rules ref or caseplays? As if you are a rules interpreter of an association.
HaHaHa!!
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I've also had the sideline play. A1 dribbling up court, comes up on B1 close to the sideline. He pushes his dribble slightly towards the middle of the court while he tiptoes along the sideline. Ball goes on one side of B1, A1 goes to the other. He gets around, stepping on the line in the process, comes back in and tracks the ball down to resume his dribble. No call.
See, this is the play I'm talking about when I say it's problematic to allow a dribbler to interrupt his dribble intentionally. This is not an interrupted dribble in my mind because the dribbler is controlling the ball. It's not gotten away from him and it's certainly not deflected off him. This play should, IMO, be a violation. I understand why you wouldn't call it though.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 03:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
See, this is the play I'm talking about when I say it's problematic to allow a dribbler to interrupt his dribble intentionally. This is not an interrupted dribble in my mind because the dribbler is controlling the ball. It's not gotten away from him and it's certainly not deflected off him. This play should, IMO, be a violation. I understand why you wouldn't call it though.
I understand your point. I think it's sufficient to relinquish control, as the defense had plenty of opportunity to get the ball. His ID could have easily been a pass as well, but he certainly wasn't in player control, and I certainly wouldn't have granted a TO request during that time.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 04:39pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
"The dribbler..."

She let it bounce off on its own and did not attempt to control it any longer when she realized she could not maintain her inbounds status.
Sorry - my bad. That was not what I meant to say. My internet conked out and I thought that my edit went through.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just a wrong huh? No rules ref or caseplays? As if you are a rules interpreter of an association.
HaHaHa!!
Sorry, bad choice of words, I was rushed on a biz thing and just posted that, rather than to say I disagree.

All I'm saying is in both OP and Ohio game I saw both respective players started dribbles and ran OOB. Maybe we are discussing two different things.