The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 06:55pm
Official Fiveum Member

Question Question on NCAA-M rules

Guys - is there some rule at the NCAA-M level that you don't call intentional fouls? I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, but I've seen numerous instances the past few days on TV where a player fouls late in a close game by just grabbing an arm (or even a jersey) or pushing in the back/shoulders. The officials are calling "regular" fouls. Is it because there is a rule difference on this point between FED and NCAA-M or is it because they're just not going to call the intentionals because they're told that fouling in those situations is just "part of the game"? Thanks.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 08:20pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post
is it because they're just not going to call the intentionals ? Thanks.
They're not going to call the intentionals because there's no such thing as intentionals
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Definitions

Here's the NCAA definition of a Flagrant 1 (formerly intentional) foul:

Quote:
A flagrant 1 personal foul shall be a personal foul that is deemed excessive in nature and/or unnecessary, but not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to:
1. Causing excessive contact with an opponent while playing the ball;
2. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting;
3. Pushing or holding a player from behind to prevent a score;
4. Fouling a player clearly away from the ball who is not directly involved with the play, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting; and
5. Contact with a player making a throw-in. (Women) This act shall also serve as a team warning for reaching through the boundary. (See Rule 4-17.1.g.)
6. Illegal contact with an elbow that occurs above the shoulders of an opponent when the elbows are not swung excessively per 4-36.7.a.
Here's the NFHS definition of an intentional foul:

Quote:
An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul that may or may not be premeditated and is not based solely on the severity of the act. Intentional fouls include, but are not limited to:
a. Contact that neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position.
b. Contact away from the ball with an opponent who is clearly not involved with a play.
c. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball/player specifically designed to stop the clock or keep it from starting.
d. Excessive contact with an opponent while playing the ball.
e. Contact with a thrower-in as in 9-2-10 Penalty 4.
As you can see by what I put in bold, the situation you mentioned is in both codes. Now it just becomes a matter of whether those situations will be called as Flagrant 1/intentional. I think it's fair to say many officials - regardless of level - don't, possibly because they don't want to be seen as "deciding the game."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Mar 10, 2012, 01:09am
C'mon man!!

Can you help me with a little more interpretation here?

What sort of play is this referencing? Would a breakaway layup with a shove or bear hug be in this category? How about a few examples.

b. Contact away from the ball with an opponent who is clearly not involved with a play. Hard illegal screen? examples?

c. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball/player specifically designed to stop the clock or keep it from starting. I used to read this play without the "specifically designed to stop the clock or keep it from starting" but now think that I may have been erroneous. Would an intentional foul be warranted in a situation where just "Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball" is used as criteria?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2012, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Can you help me with a little more interpretation here?

What sort of play is this referencing? Would a breakaway layup with a shove or bear hug be in this category? How about a few examples.
Defender knocks the ball away from the ball handler at the top of the key and is about to grab the ball for a breakway lay-up except for the fact that the opponent grabs his arm.

Quote:
b. Contact away from the ball with an opponent who is clearly not involved with a play. Hard illegal screen? examples?
Easiest example: Think hack-a-Shaq away from the play.

Quote:
c. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball/player specifically designed to stop the clock or keep it from starting. I used to read this play without the "specifically designed to stop the clock or keep it from starting" but now think that I may have been erroneous. Would an intentional foul be warranted in a situation where just "Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball" is used as criteria?
In my experience, this kind of intentional foul usually occurs at the end of games...your classic two hand jersey grab. It's not a legitimate attempt to play the ball/player and it's designed to stop the clock/keep it from starting.

A legitimate attempt one of the criteria that can be factored into whether to call an intentional foul or not, but usually it's coupled with the fact that there is excessive contact (which in of itself can be an intentional foul even IF the player was making a legit attempt) or a foul designed to stop an opponent's advantageous position.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Mar 10, 2012, 09:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

From My Pregame ...

If there’s no play on the ball, if the defense grabs the jersey, or pushes from behind, or bear hugs the offensive player,
we should consider an intentional foul. These are not basketball plays and should be penalized as intentional.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)