View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 10, 2012, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Can you help me with a little more interpretation here?

a. Contact that neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position.

What sort of play is this referencing? Would a breakaway layup with a shove or bear hug be in this category? How about a few examples.
Defender knocks the ball away from the ball handler at the top of the key and is about to grab the ball for a breakway lay-up except for the fact that the opponent grabs his arm.

Quote:
b. Contact away from the ball with an opponent who is clearly not involved with a play. Hard illegal screen? examples?
Easiest example: Think hack-a-Shaq away from the play.

Quote:
c. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball/player specifically designed to stop the clock or keep it from starting. I used to read this play without the "specifically designed to stop the clock or keep it from starting" but now think that I may have been erroneous. Would an intentional foul be warranted in a situation where just "Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball" is used as criteria?
In my experience, this kind of intentional foul usually occurs at the end of games...your classic two hand jersey grab. It's not a legitimate attempt to play the ball/player and it's designed to stop the clock/keep it from starting.

A legitimate attempt one of the criteria that can be factored into whether to call an intentional foul or not, but usually it's coupled with the fact that there is excessive contact (which in of itself can be an intentional foul even IF the player was making a legit attempt) or a foul designed to stop an opponent's advantageous position.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.