The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   T-worthy or not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89769-t-worthy-not.html)

BillyMac Tue Mar 06, 2012 01:13pm

Happy 100th Birthday Oreos ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 830245)
No more cookies for you!

America's favorite cookie, two simple wheels with a frosting middle, was first baked in New York in 1912.

ref3808 Tue Mar 06, 2012 01:17pm

I'm not second guessing an experienced official on this. The video shows the ejected player starting down the opponent. It wasn't prolonged, but it was there. As others have stated, there is a possibility that he was warned, or that collectively the teams and coaches were warned.

Is it possible that the state association had asked officials to be on the lookout for this sort of behavior and asked for strict enforcement during the tournament?

To some extent this reminds me of the football official in MA who threw a flag for taunting on a touchdown run in one of the MIAA Super Bowl games and then took heat for enforcing the rules for which he was instructed to have zero tolerance if the rule was broken.

I would assume, though that's always dangerous, that the players are instructed repeatedly by their coaches to avoid these scenarios.

Someone mentioned that this is a college official. Is it possible that the "Adams" instructions for behavior impacted the tolerace level for the infraction, even if only subconsiously?

YooperReferee Tue Mar 06, 2012 01:22pm

Not T worthy. With that said, no one has seen what might have led up to the T. The ref might have had a hard time with him all night, warnings may have been levied and consequences may have been made clear to the player prior to the T after dunking. We cant be hatin on the ref based solely on this video.

truerookie Tue Mar 06, 2012 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 830237)
You invented an answer and created actions and thoughts of players not even on the screen. Jeff is dead on here.

I did not invent an answer at the 10 sec mark on the video you can clearly see 14 go after the ball when the whistle sounded. Upon further review of the video, The player was backpeddling and shaking his head east to west and this could be what the official seen as unsporting.

ref3808 Tue Mar 06, 2012 01:37pm

From the article:

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Mann was issued his second technical for taunting a North Gwinnett player after a dunk.

Given that statement as fact, I'm not looking at the video for any other reason for the technical foul call. The reporter would have verified that prior to writing his story.

JeroenB Tue Mar 06, 2012 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapper1 (Post 830176)
i can see the "staredown", but don't think it's t-worthy. I see what the official saw that triggered the call. I just don't think it's the appropriate call in that particular situation. Jmo.

+1

rockyroad Tue Mar 06, 2012 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref3808 (Post 830260)
From the article:

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Mann was issued his second technical for taunting a North Gwinnett player after a dunk.

Given that statement as fact, I'm not looking at the video for any other reason for the technical foul call. The reporter would have verified that prior to writing his story.

Are you serious? Who would the reporter have "verified" this with? No way did that official tell the reporter that information...

Raymond Tue Mar 06, 2012 02:03pm

Quote:

From the article:

Are you giving the reporter the benefit of the doubt? :D

MD Longhorn Tue Mar 06, 2012 02:20pm

Quote:

From the article:

That's hilarious.

Judtech Tue Mar 06, 2012 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 830231)
Based on the limited info available to us I don't like the call AT ALL.

And I really don't like it coming from the C here who cannot see the kids face or eyes.

I would have liked to see the come from the L/new T since it appears they had a better look at a DOG or taunt. Also, would have liked to see the C move towards his partners after all was said and done at the table because it looks like he issued 2 T's and they could have gotten everything sorted out.
Also, would like more info on the players behavior prior to the incident.

OrStBballRef Tue Mar 06, 2012 02:50pm

Just looking at the 30 seconds of video I can't say I agree with the T, but given we only have 30 seconds of a 32 minute game and we don't know what else is going on (and no I'm not taking a newspaper account as gospel in this case as to what happened before this video) and in absence of that I'm going with the refs on the court....

I would like to believe there was a build-up (warnings etc...) before this particular T was issued.

ref3808 Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:00pm

While the official may not have spoken, I think it's a safe bet that the AJC reporter interviewed either coaches/AD or players to get the official explanation of the ejection. On the other hand, I know nothing of the AJC and their journalistic integrity. I would hope they fact check their stories and use multiple sources before going to press. On the other hand, maybe journalism has gone out the door as in so many other places.

Reading the comments on the original AJC story provides some context, though it all has to be taken with a very large grain of salt.

If I did this properly this link is to the AJC story and not the Yahoo report that was linked previously.

Milton coach miffed over Mann’s ejection; Georgia signee can’t play in semifinals for final | Prep Zone: High School Sports

Raymond Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref3808 (Post 830291)
While the official may not have spoken, I think it's a safe bet that the AJC reporter interviewed either coaches/AD or players to get the official explanation of the ejection. On the other hand, I know nothing of the AJC and their journalistic integrity. I would hope they fact check their stories and use multiple sources before going to press. On the other hand, maybe journalism has gone out the door as in so many other places.

Milton coach miffed over Mann’s ejection; Georgia signee can’t play in semifinals for final | Prep Zone: High School Sports

Even a good journalist can be given bad information. I've just found it very tricky when it comes to getting the "official" word on in-game situations. Coaches and players often mis-hear or mis-interpret information. We all know that happens a lot based just on what goes on in our own associations.

Smitty Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 830249)
America's favorite cookie, two simple wheels with a frosting middle, was first baked in New York in 1912.

That's the post that finally convinced me to put you on ignore. Long overdue...

JetMetFan Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:44pm

This is from another newspaper account of the game...

It's from NorthFulton.com, a county site in GA

"The second technical was whistled after a Mann fast break dunk against Norcross standout Chris Bolden, who was one of the top players on the Norcross team that upset Milton in last year's championship game.
After the dunk, Mann glared at Bolden, who had been engaging in two-way trash talk with Milton players during the game."