The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Player goes out of bounds and returns (NCAA)

NCAA rules (9-4-1). A defensive player deflects a pass, and his momentum carries him out of bounds. He then re-establishes himself on the court, and is the first to touch the loose ball. I believe there is no violation in that circumstance. The casebook only deals with a play where an offensive player leaves the court to avoid a screen.

What say you, my brothers of the stripes?

Last edited by jearef; Sat Mar 03, 2012 at 08:27pm. Reason: Fixing the typo
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure where you get a 9-4-4 in the NCAA rule bok. The one I use has 9-4 article I and article II

I see nothing in the rule that differentiates between offense and defense. It does use term that the player leaves on own volition and comes back in and gets ball
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Take a look at 7.1.1 B, C and D. I think you'll find what you're looking for.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

I agree the issue of offense vs. defense is irrelevant. The issue is the interpretation of "his own volition". My recollection is that this provision is intended to deal with a player who runs out of bounds to avoid a screen. I do not believe it is intended to apply to a player whose momentum carries him out of bounds after a steal.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

That's correct. There is no violation if the player's momentum caused him/her to go out. And coming back inbounds requires something touching inbounds, and nothing touching out of bounds.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Rob: I was talking NCAA, but your post got me to the right spot in the casebook. A.R. 174 Legal play.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

So, is it the same, NFHS and NCAA?
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

For the play situation I presented, the result is the same under NCAA or NFHS. In other situations, the results can be different. In NFHS, a player who intentionally goes out of bounds has violated the moment he goes out. Not so in NCAA.