The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
The awful thinking is that it is one call early in the half and a different call with 4.4 seconds left.
Brad, come on!! You're a very knowledgeable individual. You know that same exact call will not be made with that little time left on the clock.

The mindset: Let the player decide the game. Not realizing officials decide the game when they adjudge to rule that amount of contact as incidental with that little time left on the clock.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:13am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
Brad, come on!! You're a very knowledgeable individual. You know that same exact call will not be made with that little time left on the clock.

The mindset: Let the player decide the game. Not realizing officials decide the game when they adjudge to rule that amount of contact as incidental with that little time left on the clock.
Not calling a foul is not "letting the players decide" the game. This is not what they teach at the NCAA or NBA level. It shouldn't be done in high school either and, if it is, it's wrong.

For the record, I think it should be a no call early in the half, late in the half, end of the game, at half court, under the basket, in the box, with a fox, on a boat, with a goat, etc.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:50am
beware big brother

truerookie, i have to agree with brad here. if you think this is a foul at any other time or place in the game than it is a foul with 4.4 seconds left. if you dont think it is a foul, than it shouldnt be a foul regardless of time or place in the game. if you base your calls on the philosophy that you would call this a foul early in the game but not late, you wont be in this business for long.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Snaqwells you should be a fortune teller. The one thing I will not do is allow GROUPTHINK influence how I should apply a rule. I stand by my assessment. You will not get this call with that little time on the clock versus the early part of the half.

I really enjoy how you and your GROUPTHINK MEMBERS can make an assessment of others and haven't even seen them on the court/film/person or anything.
GROUPTHINK? Sort of sounds like a synonym for consistency to me.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 01:14am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It was not a PC at any point in the game. A1 landed followed by incidental contact with B1.
Quote:
So, it's ok to crash even after you land. You stated yourself he returned back to the floor and followed by incidental contact. So he landed safely and still crashes into the defender.
While you rail on about GROUPTHINK you apparently need to learn to read my posts. I said it wasn't a PC at any point in the game. And I said there was incidental contact after A1 landed--incidental contact meaning no foul.

And if there was a foul, it would have to be charging/pushing since the try was released. How do you have a PC foul in an NCAA-M's game after the try is released?
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
While you rail on about GROUPTHINK you apparently need to learn to read my posts. I said it wasn't a PC at any point in the game. And I said there was incidental contact after A1 landed--incidental contact meaning no foul.

And if there was a foul, it would have to be charging/pushing since the try was released. How do you have a PC foul in an NCAA-M's game after the try is released?
I don't know I don't concern myself with the differences. I don't work those level.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
GROUPTHINK? Sort of sounds like a synonym for consistency to me.
, In your opinion.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not calling a foul is not "letting the players decide" the game. This is not what they teach at the NCAA or NBA level. It shouldn't be done in high school either and, if it is, it's wrong.

For the record, I think it should be a no call early in the half, late in the half, end of the game, at half court, under the basket, in the box, with a fox, on a boat, with a goat, etc.
Ok!
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Look I will just observe MARCH MADNESS and see how consistent a similiar play being discussed here will be called throughout the tournment.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 09:57am
Archaic Power Monger

Groupthink, it really is the choice of a new generation.

At any rate, I'll join the burgeoning hivemind and say I have no call on this. Not in the first minute of the game, not at the end where there is much fame to gain.

Neigh...no call, no way.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 09:59am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Look I will just observe MARCH MADNESS and see how consistent a similiar play being discussed here will be called throughout the tournment.
If you watched games this weekend you would have seen similar plays that had no whistle on them.

And what you label "GROUPTHINK" is often "EXPERIENCE". And maybe some with more experience than you, including the officials in that game, have determined the difference between a "crash" (Harvard/Penn) and "incidental contact" (TSU/MSU).
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
F*!@ing HILARIOUS!! Post of the Month!

This is a great no call! (I'm going with the majority here b/c I don't know how to think for myself )
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 10:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

How Did You Like The Lorax ???

Quote:
in the box, with a fox, on a boat, with a goat, etc.
Brad: You're a few days late. Dr. Suess' birthday was Friday, March 2.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 10:13am.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 10:15am
Archaic Power Monger

Wow! I didn't even see Brad's "Dr. Seuss" response. The groupthink is strong with this bunch.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 10:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Grape, My Favorite Color ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Wow! I didn't even see Brad's "Dr. Seuss" response. The groupthink is strong with this bunch.
The Kool Aid was delicious.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)