The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 10:34am
Archaic Power Monger

There's a Jonestown joke in there to be told but I'll save it for somebody else...the punchline is too long.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 10:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
Snaqwells you should be a fortune teller. The one thing I will not do is allow GROUPTHINK influence how I should apply a rule. I stand by my assessment. You will not get this call with that little time on the clock versus the early part of the half.

I really enjoy how you and your GROUPTHINK MEMBERS can make an assessment of others and haven't even seen them on the court/film/person or anything.
CAPITALIZING IT doesn't make it true, champ.

My issue, and the mindset to which I was referring, is your comment that you would call this early but not late. If you're going to make this call early, you need to make it late as well. The idea that a foul should be let go because of the point in the game is the same shrinking violet mindset that gives us comments like, "the goal of the official is to not be noticed."

Personally, it's a classic case of the defender bailing on the play too soon and turning a possible charging call into a no-call. I'm not calling this in a middle school or high school game, 5 seconds in or with 5 seconds left.

As for my comment that you judged an assessment. It has nothing to do with your ability, but with the mindset. If you're afraid to make a call because it's late in the game, then you'd be better off trying to follow in Doug Gottlieb's footsteps than Karl Hess.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

IMO this is an EASY no-call at ANY point in the game for the reasons already stated.

And I guess the new thing when your opinion is clearly in the minority is to accuse everyone else of "groupthink." I guess that's easier than "thinking" about your opinion and realizing that you are WRONG.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 11:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
IMO this is an EASY no-call at ANY point in the game for the reasons already stated.

And I guess the new thing when your opinion is clearly in the minority is to accuse everyone else of "groupthink." I guess that's easier than "thinking" about your opinion and realizing that you are WRONG.
As my good friend Dave always says:

"When it's you against the world, back the world."
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 11:29am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Every stop to think that it's not GROUPTHINK, but several individuals agreeing, which makes it a CONSENSUS?
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!

Brad, we have worked hard to indoctrinate these people over the years. Don't just be throwing away all our brain-washing techniques and calling it "consensus". Geesh.

And as far as the play and the ensuing dialogue...no call at any point in the game. There just isn't enough to call a foul here. And the "don't make that call at the end of a game" mindset really went by the wayside about 6 or 7 years ago.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
CAPITALIZING IT doesn't make it true, champ.

My issue, and the mindset to which I was referring, is your comment that you would call this early but not late. If you're going to make this call early, you need to make it late as well. The idea that a foul should be let go because of the point in the game is the same shrinking violet mindset that gives us comments like, "the goal of the official is to not be noticed."

Personally, it's a classic case of the defender bailing on the play too soon and turning a possible charging call into a no-call. I'm not calling this in a middle school or high school game, 5 seconds in or with 5 seconds left.

As for my comment that you judged an assessment. It has nothing to do with your ability, but with the mindset. If you're afraid to make a call because it's late in the game, then you'd be better off trying to follow in Doug Gottlieb's footsteps than Karl Hess.
Snaqwells, I am aware of that. I am enjoying this . I take a position different from others for the sake of discussion. I still stand behind my assesment though.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If you watched games this weekend you would have seen similar plays that had no whistle on them.

And what you label "GROUPTHINK" is often "EXPERIENCE". And maybe some with more experience than you, including the officials in that game, have determined the difference between a "crash" (Harvard/Penn) and "incidental contact" (TSU/MSU).
Does the groupthink comment bother you? If not why continue to attempt to justify it?
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Snaqwells, I am aware of that. I am enjoying this . I take a position different from others for the sake of discussion. I still stand behind my assesment though.
You still say you'd call this a foul early in the game? But you wouldn't in the last 5 seconds when it matters most?
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
GROUPTHINK? Sort of sounds like a synonym for consistency to me.
Ok, I can buy that one Camron.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 02:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Does the groupthink comment bother you? If not why continue to attempt to justify it?
Justify what? Why would I have to justify YOUR comment? Now you are just not making sense, which I guess wouldn't be a first.

Quote:
Brad, come on!! You're a very knowledgeable individual. You know that same exact call will not be made with that little time left on the clock.

The mindset: Let the player decide the game. Not realizing officials decide the game when they adjudge to rule that amount of contact as incidental with that little time left on the clock.
Funny, I just watched John Adams' season ending video in which he criticizes a crew for not making a illegal screen call with 9.0 seconds left in a 3-point game and his commentary was basically "a foul is a foul no matter what the time on the clock".

So, I'm wondering, what GROUPTHINK Tank is controlling your thought patterns?
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 02:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Justify what? Why would I have to justify YOUR comment? Now you are just not making sense, which I guess wouldn't be a first.

Funny, I just watched John Adams' season ending video in which he criticizes a crew for not making a illegal screen call with 9.0 seconds left in a 3-point game and his commentary was basically "a foul is a foul no matter what the time on the clock".

I saw Illinois throw some of the most blatant illegal screens that went uncalled yesterday in quite some time. I wish I had some timestamps to go with my little rant, but I was amazed at how much bad screening the crew allowed.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 02:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I saw Illinois throw some of the most blatant illegal screens that went uncalled yesterday in quite some time. I wish I had some timestamps to go with my little rant, but I was amazed at how much bad screening the crew allowed.
May be a contributing factor to the fact there was a whole section in this video about illegal screens.

The one I referenced with 9.0 seconds left came under the heading "A foul is a foul".
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

great no call. If anything its a block, but you can't really see how much contact occurs from that angle.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

BNR, my point exactly. My position was at times officials will not make that call towards the end of the game. Opposed to making a similar call in early parts of the game.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Are you sure in the judgement of the official the screens were not incidental contact? You know basketball is a contact sport.