The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 08:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

OSU/Tenn

10 second violation, the T counted 7, paused, and then called it.

Why do they even bother counting if they're just going to use the shot clock?
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 08:14pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I went back and looked at that on the DVR too.

What did you think of the three late blocks called on Tenn followed by the charge against them too. Didn't seem like they "caught any breaks" and still came out with the W.

I thought Bruce Pearl did well. Pretty darn composed. JMO.

PS - for those of you who missed the game.....Diebler was horrible.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 08:19pm
In Time Out

and he was so pretty the first two games.

brilliant moment by CBS #466: leaving the Ohio St-Tenn game with 1:20 to go and going to St. Mary's down by 30. Then back to the Ohio St. game with only 12 seconds. sigh. Having a pc that can stream games hooked to the computer so you could switch from that to TV would be great. One more Southwest ad and I'm gonna kidnap Bryant Gumbel.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 08:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

What did you think of the three late blocks called on Tenn followed by the charge against them too. Didn't seem like they "caught any breaks" and still came out with the W.

I thought Bruce Pearl did well. Pretty darn composed. JMO.

PS - for those of you who missed the game.....Diebler was horrible.
I thought I was turning into a fanboy, to be honest.

I spent 3 years at Tennessee as a grad student. I went to a ton of games (this was during the Kevin O'Neill era, I brought a pillow) when I was there. This is the first trip to the Elite Eight.

Tonight the good Tennessee played, the one that can beat anyone. I hope they show up 3 more times, starting Sunday.

Did you see the OSU assistants chasing the officials off the floor? Waaaaaahhhhhh.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 08:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
and he was so pretty the first two games.

brilliant moment by CBS #466: leaving the Ohio St-Tenn game with 1:20 to go and going to St. Mary's down by 30. Then back to the Ohio St. game with only 12 seconds. sigh. Having a pc that can stream games hooked to the computer so you could switch from that to TV would be great. One more Southwest ad and I'm gonna kidnap Bryant Gumbel.
Having the March Madness package on DirecTV: Priceless.

Although next year I may just watch the live streaming and save me $69.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 08:33pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
and Seth Davis (studio host) gave the refs their props for the no call at the end of the game on Turner's final shot.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 11:36pm
In Time Out

I like Turner but he looked really confused at the end there. When he's on he is a top player but I don't get the talk about him being a top NBA pick. Wall is without a doubt a better player.
There were quite a few fouls on the three pointers for the 16. Some didn't look like fouls at all and I think I saw at least 3 4 point plays.
I'm going to get direct tv next year or change my setup. It would be great if there were two CBS stations just for the tourney. Kind of like NBC for the Olympics, MSNBC, USA.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2010, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

Really, one block was clearly correct (Prince in the backcourt), but at least two were quite puzzling. The one called against Prince by the C where the contact occured way after the release and as the shooter landed seemed to catch the C by surprise. I don't think the C knew when Prince got to the spot and he defaulted to a block. The charge was a hard to see from the camera angles but I'm not convinced.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2010, 04:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The one called against Prince by the C where the contact occured way after the release and as the shooter landed seemed to catch the C by surprise. I don't think the C knew when Prince got to the spot and he defaulted to a block.
I saw two block calls which were missed to far greater degree. IMO.

A. 1st Round game between Bulter and UTEP.
B. 3rd Round game between Washington and West Virginia. (The play over which Lorenzo Romar took a T.)
Old Sat Mar 27, 2010, 08:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Really, one block was clearly correct (Prince in the backcourt), but at least two were quite puzzling. The one called against Prince by the C where the contact occured way after the release and as the shooter landed seemed to catch the C by surprise. I don't think the C knew when Prince got to the spot and he defaulted to a block. The charge was a hard to see from the camera angles but I'm not convinced.
There was a rebounding foul called on Ohio State early in the game by the C (it was a weak side rebound) that left me (and the fouler) scratching his head. The Tennessee player cleared it clean and there was a minimal amount of contact on him and the C blew it dead. I can't help but think he wished he could take that one back.

I thought the block on Williams towards the end (where he fell in a heap) was marginal, as well.

Oh, well, fanboy now: Survive and advance, baby. This team is the most Jekyll-and-Hyde team I've ever seen. It's nice to see Pearl has them playing exceptionally well when it counts. His constant substituting (is his kid really a D1 caliber player?) and the way he rotated at least 5 defenders on Turner can't be overlooked either.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2010, 01:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I saw two block calls which were missed to far greater degree. IMO.

B. 3rd Round game between Washington and West Virginia. (The play over which Lorenzo Romar took a T.)
I didn't like this call either. Additionally the C (whom I personally like) reached a long way to make that call.