The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not at all....at least no more than anything else we call. Does everyone call handchecking exactly the same way? No. It doesn't have to be an absolutely clear line. The kids will learn to stay away from the boundaries because they will know the risk. If you want to improve character and sportsmanship, you only need to push it in the right directly, not be completely carbon copies.

Usually what you'll have is someone who, themselves, uses profane vocabulary and will refuse to call it because they'd be hypocritical of their own actions in doing so.....“Profanity is a Weak Mind Trying to Express Itself Forcibly”.
I can see that, but I guess I would want a clear line. While you say that the kids would avoid boundaries, I could see it working. I guess I don't see the point. If cursing is said in frustration to themselves I often just say "Watch the language, please" as I walk by. If it is said loud enough, and again only venting to themselves, I will make it known to everyone I am speaking with the player. It never gets worse afterwards. I just wouldn't want these to be a definitive T as it can be taken care of with a quick statement. Now if it was directed at the other team, the crowd, a partner, or myself, I would not hesititate. And even that does not have to be a curse word.

I have worked with a few religious and well educated people that used profanity in the locker room and quietly to me away from players, coaches, and fans. Usually this was used to vent frustration from a coach or a play they may have missed. While I don't use profanity, I am not offended by it unless it is directed at anyone. I smile when a player yells replacement words instead of a curse word. However, people still know what he meant.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
I can see that, but I guess I would want a clear line. While you say that the kids would avoid boundaries, I could see it working. I guess I don't see the point. If cursing is said in frustration to themselves I often just say "Watch the language, please" as I walk by. If it is said loud enough, and again only venting to themselves, I will make it known to everyone I am speaking with the player. It never gets worse afterwards. I just wouldn't want these to be a definitive T as it can be taken care of with a quick statement. Now if it was directed at the other team, the crowd, a partner, or myself, I would not hesititate. And even that does not have to be a curse word.

I have worked with a few religious and well educated people that used profanity in the locker room and quietly to me away from players, coaches, and fans. Usually this was used to vent frustration from a coach or a play they may have missed. While I don't use profanity, I am not offended by it unless it is directed at anyone. I smile when a player yells replacement words instead of a curse word. However, people still know what he meant.
Sound like we run it the same way....and as I said before, I'm not the one pushing for or arguing FOR this change. I'm just pointing that the reason that have been present for opposing it are not really valid.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

My rule changes:

1) Timeouts can only be called by players on the court.

2) Adopt the NCAA timing rule so the clock stops for a made basket with under a minute left in the game.

3) Switch from 8 minute quarters to 16 minute halves.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
There's two guys with whom I work who would like to see the clock stop after a basket in the last minute of a game if the point differential is under 10.
That's really splitting hairs IMO.......How can you say that you play 31 minutes w/o a stop clock and suddenly enforce this in the last minute?? And how would you determine what the point spread should be for the clock to stop?

We have a 30 point mercy rule in GHSA...Cut from 8 minutes to 6 minutes in the 4th quarter if the lead is 30 or more. Suppose the lead is 28 after 3 qtrs, and the first play in the 4th quarter makes it a 30 point game....Why not enforce the mercy rule at that point (which we don't do)? There are just so many variables that could be changed to make the game more "fair" or "fan friendly". You can't get away from subjectivity no matter what you do........
I have no answers, just opinions, as the rest of us do.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 02:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post

Usually the way I do it and problems tend to stop. I talk to players all the time about their behavior if they are borderline and they know where I stand.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 04:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question another rule change suggestion

I guess this would be for both FED and NCAA. How about eliminating the ability to inbound into the back court on a throw in after the ball has been advanced to the front court?

And/or - eliminating both the 10 second back court count and the five second closely guarded count in games that have a shot clock. Having all those counts seems redundant.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

votes

Agree:
--Stop clock after made basket near end of game, two min. sounds about right
--T/O only by players on court

Disagree:
--Halves stead quarters. Keep quarters. Some states do Q to enable jv/v splitting

Wish list:
--Get rid of the three point arc. I heard one writer saying there was talk about abolishing the DH, if that's true they can get rid of this travesty too.

--Get rid of the arrow. Tie 'em up, you deserve an equal shot at possession at the precise spot in the game; jump it up.

--three for two on tenth foul
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
Agree:
--Stop clock after made basket near end of game, two min. sounds about right
--T/O only by players on court

Disagree:
--Halves stead quarters. Keep quarters. Some states do Q to enable jv/v splitting

Wish list:
--Get rid of the three point arc. I heard one writer saying there was talk about abolishing the DH, if that's true they can get rid of this travesty too.

--Get rid of the arrow. Tie 'em up, you deserve an equal shot at possession at the precise spot in the game; jump it up.

--three for two on tenth foul
Get rid of the 3-point arc? Really????
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

I never get people that want to eliminate the three point line.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 06:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I never get people that want to eliminate the three point line.
I don't either. I hate to say this, but that is one of the dumbest requests people can make. The game is not just a big man's game with the 3 point line.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Shot clock all the way across for the NF.

Please put some type of running clock when margins get over 40.

Rest is good.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up proposed FIBA rule change

Coach A forgot to use the metric alphabet when entering his players names into the scorebook so none of his players are actually entered correctly. Therefore, team B starts the game by shooting 1.67 shots for each incorrect entry, then they get the ball 3 meters from the division line. I would suggest the rule expand to include team A having to provide 2.53 muffins for each of the officials in this case. What do you guys think?

BTW - has anyone seen my meds?
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hohn View Post
Shot clock all the way across for the NF.
As long as you pay for all the high schools to buy these, it might happen.