The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 01, 2012, 02:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow Slow season coming - rule changes?

Well, as we all know, it's just about the end of the season. I have two more weekends of my local kids rec league games and then nothing until a spring kids rec league starts in mid-April. I really don't know what to do till then except wait to see any rule changes for next season. Having said that, maybe we can make this a thread for NF rule change suggestions.

I'll start. AP throw-in. If the offensive team commits a foul, they keep the arrow. If they commit a throw-in violation, they lose the arrow. I think it should be one way or the other in both instances. A pretty minor point, but it seems it would make it easier to remember and it does seem equitible.

OK - who's next?
Old Thu Mar 01, 2012, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Drop the 10 second count for FT.

It's a complete waste of time.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2012, 02:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post

Disagree. Without it, teams would have unlimited time outs.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2012, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No timeouts left? No problem...take your time at the line!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 01, 2012, 02:55pm
Official Fiveum Member

Lightbulb

What about all player unsportsmanlike technical fouls also counting as indirect technicals against the HC? Shouldn't he (or she) have the same responsibility for the behavior of players on the floor as on the bench? Really, what's the difference? As it stands now, there's more of a total penalty if a player misbehaves on the bench vs. him (or her) misbehaving on the court. The player could exhibit the exact same behavior and the strength of the penalty depends on where the player was occupying space at the time.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2012, 03:13pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post
What about all player unsportsmanlike technical fouls also counting as indirect technicals against the HC? Shouldn't he (or she) have the same responsibility for the behavior of players on the floor as on the bench? Really, what's the difference?
The difference is, the coach isn't within a few feet to tell the kid to shut up.

You can't blame the coach for everything.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2012, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
The difference is, the coach isn't within a few feet to tell the kid to shut up.

Gotta admit, I like it how it is currently for the same reason.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2012, 03:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Then how about an indirect on the parent?
Old Thu Mar 01, 2012, 03:39pm
Livin' The Dream

Iowa rule. 35 point differential rule for girls. Running clock. Not just for boys.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2012, 03:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

OK, I'm not promoting this one, but.......

There's two guys with whom I work who would like to see the clock stop after a basket in the last minute of a game if the point differential is under 10.

They mentioned this after they worked a game in which a team scored with just under five seconds left to cut their deficit to one point and the other team didn't go to the ball and let the clock run out. My response to them telling me this was "So what? It's part of the game. They could have requested a timeout immediately after the ball went through the hoop". (I asked and they said the team was out of timeouts, and taking the T for requesting one would not really have helped)

If this ever passes, good luck working with the timekeepers on it.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2012, 04:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
There's two guys with whom I work who would like to see the clock stop after a basket in the last minute of a game if the point differential is under 10.

They mentioned this after they worked a game in which a team scored with just under five seconds left to cut their deficit to one point and the other team didn't go to the ball and let the clock run out. My response to them telling me this was "So what? It's part of the game. They could have requested a timeout immediately after the ball went through the hoop". (I asked and they said the team was out of timeouts, and taking the T for requesting one would not really have helped)

If this ever passes, good luck working with the timekeepers on it.
Believe it or not, this is the first change I'd put in place if I was king. Too many time, there's timing issues when timeouts are called after made baskets in the last minute of a tightly contested game. I *love* the NCAA rule.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2012, 04:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I disagree as well. We would see teams take much longer if they knew they had no time limit. At least now they know they have a time limit and it usually is not a big deal, but I would not all it a waste of time.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 01, 2012, 04:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1ns View Post
Iowa rule. 35 point differential rule for girls. Running clock. Not just for boys.
We have a 30 point rule that only applies to the 4th Quarter in tournament games before February starts. I would not want to see such a rule for boys games at all during non-post season games. Games do not take that long and it gives coaches a chance to play kids that have not played without taking away their time. Games do not take that long either way it goes.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 01, 2012, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Believe it or not, this is the first change I'd put in place if I was king. Too many time, there's timing issues when timeouts are called after made baskets in the last minute of a tightly contested game. I *love* the NCAA rule.

I agree as well. Far easier imo, for timekeeper to shut clock off after made basket then it is for them to know when to try to get it stopped in that hectic few seconds when a coach is screaming for the TO. Timekeeper probably hears it in some cases when official does not, but cannot stop it until seeing/hearing a signal. I've seen a lot of confusing situations this would remedy. I'm ready to vote now
Old Thu Mar 01, 2012, 06:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb Hey - here's a thought

Maybe the NF should just adopt the rules from my local kids rec league 3rd/4th grade level. All games would then be running clock, no coaching box, up to 5 seconds in the lane allowed, free throws shot from a line two feet shorter, baskets are at 9 feet, no 5 second closely guarded count, no back court guarding and no zone defenses. Let me tell you, there's relatively few fouls and the games go by really quickly.

Of course we still don't allow dunking during warmups.