The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

lock down mechanic

Would like info/opinions on this mechanic. As far as I know it is not a NFHS mechanic but do any of you use it? What is the rationale and what is the advantage over rotating as usual when necessary during a game that is going down to the wire?
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 11:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

A local group I was in previously would use this, but it's not used in my current location. It makes more sense with NCAAW mechanics, when the C has the clock.
In NFHS, it's whoever is opposite, which doens't change on rotation.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

There is no specific mechanic for it, but this is something you do pregame for along with going over at halftime. At all times when you are in lock down position late in the game in or even when the shot clock gets down to 0 it is up to the lead to make the decision.

In pregames that I have been involved in there has always been an agreement through out the crew that the rotation during the lock down time is only for the Lead. The trail and center should stay in their positions, and if there is a quick transition the Lead should get back over and become the new trail.

In my opinion, I think this is something you pregame for as it might be different by area. I know in my state we don't use a shot clock in high school, so we always talking about using a specific time during the game clock to lock down to put the whole crew in the right position.

I hope this helps!

JB
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 12:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBleach85 View Post
There is no specific mechanic for it, but this is something you do pregame for along with going over at halftime. At all times when you are in lock down position late in the game in or even when the shot clock gets down to 0 it is up to the lead to make the decision.

In pregames that I have been involved in there has always been an agreement through out the crew that the rotation during the lock down time is only for the Lead. The trail and center should stay in their positions, and if there is a quick transition the Lead should get back over and become the new trail.

In my opinion, I think this is something you pregame for as it might be different by area. I know in my state we don't use a shot clock in high school, so we always talking about using a specific time during the game clock to lock down to put the whole crew in the right position.

I hope this helps!

JB
There is no right position in NFHS mechanics, though. The opposite official has the last second shot, so who cares if he's the C or the T?

In NCAAW, I get the concept, but I also don't get why the C has the last second shot anyway, even when tableside. Just to be different?
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 01:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

I hear people suggest it all the time, I am not a fan of that mechanic. I think we should never go away from players just to worry about something that is not likely to be a factor. Usually some contact or even a violation is more likely than when we have to rule on a last second shot. And if we get a quick transition, then we can get together and make a decision if need be, but not needed.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 01:37pm
This IS My Social Life

For What It's Worth (which, admittedly, might not be much)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Would like info/opinions on this mechanic. As far as I know it is not a NFHS mechanic but do any of you use it? What is the rationale and what is the advantage over rotating as usual when necessary during a game that is going down to the wire?
Never was a huge fan of "locking down".
1) The reason, after all, for rotating is to get in the best position to be able to make an accurate call. Why settle for a less preferred position just because time is winding down?
2) It's something foreign to how we do things the rest of the game, and introduces a thought process that might get in the way of the most important thing, getting the call right.
3) Official opposite table has the clock anyway, so, as stated above, what real difference is there whether he is C or T.
I respect other opinions, and I even do the lock-down when the other two officials are for it. I'm just not a big fan of it.
Your actual mileage may vary.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 02:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

For a last second shot I'll discuss with my crew the Lead getting wherever he needs to be to referee the play while the T and C pretty much hold their general positioning. IOW, the Lead comes over but doesn't mean the T or C need to move.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
There is no right position in NFHS mechanics, though. The opposite official has the last second shot, so who cares if he's the C or the T?

In NCAAW, I get the concept, but I also don't get why the C has the last second shot anyway, even when tableside. Just to be different?
I believe the thought process is they feel the C usually has a better chance of picking up the shot itself when the clock hits 0, rather than the T, who could be on-ball, watching the feet for a travel, watching the primary defender for contact on the arm, watching for the illegal screen to open up the shooter, etc. So having the C handle all last-second shots reduces the chance of the on-ball official also having to add last shot responsibilities.

As far as "locking down", when the C gives the signal at 6 or 7 seconds left, it doesn't prevent the L from coming across the lane if the ball and players dictate, only that the C won't be rotating back, and that they will keep that last shot responsibility.

As far as whether the C is tableside or opposite, I'm not sure why that really matters?

(Used with permission.)
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 08:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
As far as "locking down", when the C gives the signal at 6 or 7 seconds left, it doesn't prevent the L from coming across the lane if the ball and players dictate, only that the C won't be rotating back, and that they will keep that last shot responsibility.

As far as whether the C is tableside or opposite, I'm not sure why that really matters?
It matters if you are not following NCAAW mechanics.

That being said I am not a fan of that mechanic. If you are going to rotate, rotate. Why would the C not move out like normal? I move as the C normally to get angles, not because the L comes to my side all the time. The reason you rotate is to cover the play, not to get a situation that might be a once in a few games issue. That is why I am not a fan because we should not be changing what we do in the last few seconds. And at least at the college level officials are taught what to do more. At the HS level, we just try to get people in position properly. This to me puts too many variables into our movement.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Lock down? No. Absolutely not.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It matters if you are not following NCAAW mechanics.

That being said I am not a fan of that mechanic. If you are going to rotate, rotate. Why would the C not move out like normal? I move as the C normally to get angles, not because the L comes to my side all the time. The reason you rotate is to cover the play, not to get a situation that might be a once in a few games issue. That is why I am not a fan because we should not be changing what we do in the last few seconds. And at least at the college level officials are taught what to do more. At the HS level, we just try to get people in position properly. This to me puts too many variables into our movement.

Peace
Well, I appreciate the opinions, but please make sure you fully understand the concept before making the criticisms.

First, no where did I say the C cannot "move out like normal". I did not say officials have to stand still. Officials still move to get the proper angles, and officiate just like they would at any other time in the game. The only 2 items the mechanic affects is the C who gives the signal will be the one to have the last shot no matter where the ball is, and if there is a change of possession in that last few seconds, the old L/new T will come back across the lane just like they would do if the other 2 officials didn't pick up the rotation.

There are a few holes in either method, and neither is perfect. And I understand it's hard for you to understand a mechanic you don't normally use, especially if it's a *women's* mechanic. Since some of us have had practice using both, it's not difficult to use and understand both.

(Used with permission.)
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 09:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not think it is about a lack of understanding, I just do not agree with it. How many times does a play near the end of the game need to be officiated for the contact or lack thereof as compared to what might happen on a shot? I just would not want to change something we have not done only to have so many different philosophies as to when to go, lockdown or stay put. Just officiate that is all.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

appreciate it

Thank you all for your input and comments. I have a much better understanding of it now. If anyone has any additional comments they feel would be helpful please continue to post. Thanks again.