The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 18, 2000, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Question

with 30 seconds or less remaining in a quarter in a three official high school contest do any of you guys advocate locking down (no rotations) or do you dontinue to rotate as normal right down to the end?
Old Mon Sep 18, 2000, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I was at a camp this past summer, and at this camp, we were told by a Div. 1 supervisor to continue to rotate. There is no reason not to rotate, but I have also been told by another Div. 1 Sup. that only the lead should move in this case, and he/she needs to remember where the came from, if there is a turnover and a break the other way. So in answer to your question, it really depends on who you are working with and for. There really is no set way as to handle this, except get it right, and don't F*** it up.
Old Tue Sep 19, 2000, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jweiler
with 30 seconds or less remaining in a quarter in a three official high school contest do any of you guys advocate locking down (no rotations) or do you dontinue to rotate as normal right down to the end?
Different crews will have their own way to handle this. Talk about it in pregame. When i am the r in a 3 person game and we have a last shot it depends on what is happening in the game. IS the lead two points or three how much time remains and who is the go to person,post or shooter. My rule is never switch in the last ten-twelve seconds.

Two things to remember, center usually has finally call. and don't screw it up!
keep smiling
SH
Old Tue Sep 19, 2000, 10:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Smile

In HS I would suggest you always move. The only person that has the last second shot will not change with a rotation. The only thing that will change is there position on the floor. The shot always goes to the C or T away from the bench.

Quote:
Originally posted by jweiler
Old Tue Sep 26, 2000, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

What state do yo work in that allows for three officials in a high school game. I want to move there!!!
Old Tue Sep 26, 2000, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Huskerblue
What state do yo work in that allows for three officials in a high school game. I want to move there!!!
HoopsrefBC works in British Columbia, Canada. We only use 3 person for Univ. m+w and College Men. We use it in some exibition high school game, but never in league.

i think that they use 3 person in high school in flordia and georgia among other.

SH
keep smiling
Old Tue Sep 26, 2000, 05:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

I live in Illinois. What do you mean allows, all post season games are 3 person, boys and girls. Not only do they allow us to do 3 person, if you do not go to camps with 3 person training, you cannot do post season games. That is the way it should be, but Illinois is a "basketball state."

Quote:
Old Wed Sep 27, 2000, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

They don't let us work 3 man\woman in Iowa because the schools are tighta$$es and don't want to pay for three. Heck, they complain about the rates they pay us now, which is pretty pathetic.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2000, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

I think we should feel luck. We have used 3 person for abou 5 yrs. Its been about 3yrs since i used 2person and that was college.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2000, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

I am in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. We do not get paid for three man, and there are many officials up here that are able to do it properly - by training and experience - but we keep trying to get more people involved and exposed to it.
We do it because we think we can give the kids a better game. I also work some Division II women, III men & women, and some Juco - most of that is also three and most of it is paid
Old Wed Sep 27, 2000, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

In Ga most high scholls have gone to 3 man for Varsity
games. We have also been instructed by the state to lock down during last 30 seconds...
Old Thu Sep 28, 2000, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

In NC, it is mandatory that all varsity basketball games be officiated by a 3 person crew. Last year, our association started working 3 man in JV games as well. We normally work a girls game followed by a boys game. We receive $70 for working the two games.

It seems strange to me that we are always considered to be behind the times in the South, yet there seems to be more 3 man in the southestern US than in any other part of the country. How does our 3 man game fee compare to the 2 man fee in other parts of the country? I really don't think we have anymore money available here than in NY or Ohio. Are 2 man states reluctant to accept less pay and go to the 3 man system?

Many veteran officials also see it as a threat to their schedule. In reality, it could actually add a few years to their career.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2000, 01:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Smile

Well, it varies vastly. In Illinois we have the post season using 3 person, but the regular season is a different story. I have done 3 person for the JV and Varsity in the same night. I will even 3 person for just Varsity, but never just a JV game. And pay has been as low as $25 to $75. It depends on each school and school district. But again in this state, it is extremely rare to have a girl-boy varsity game in the same night. I do not know if many officials would go for that.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
In NC, it is mandatory that all varsity basketball game be officiated by a 3 person crew. Last year, our association started working 3 man in JV games as well. We normally work a girls game followed by a boys game. We receive $70 for working the two games.

It seems strange to me that we are always considered to be behind the times in the South, yet there seems to be more 3 man in the southestern US than in any other part of the country. How does our 3 man game fee compare to the 2 man fee in other parts of the country? I really don't think we have anymore money available here than in NY or Ohio. Are 2 man states reluctant to accept less pay and go to the 3 man system?

Many veteran officials also see it as a threat to their schedule. In reality, it could actually add a few years to their career.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2000, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In Arkansas we mostly work 3 man crews on all games if officials are available. Every school I work wants a 3 man crew and except in rare cases , they get it.