The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
NFHS
My first 3 man scrimmage last night. Really liked 3 man (person)Besides missing a flex as the trail I held my own.

With less than 1 min. our board likes to lock the C opposite the table. I noticed the other 3 officials (we had a 6 person crew to do 8 quarters)were confused when the locked down. The confusion occurred when the ball went out of bounds on the the C's sideline. I understand this should be discussed in pregame, but my question is how do most officials like to handle this. The simplest way it seems to me is to let the C handle the throwin and remain in lock Down no matter what direction. Your thoughts
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

I admit I am a rookie but I dont like to lock down at the minute mark. Now with 10 seconds left maybe but think about this....20 seconds to go and 8 players and the ball bury in the corner opposite table. Thats a lot of pressure on the slot to pickup that much action. There is still plenty of time IMHO for a rotation in such a case and I have been taught there should be.

Old guys...thoughts?
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 09:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by stewcall
NFHS
My first 3 man scrimmage last night. Really liked 3 man (person)Besides missing a flex as the trail I held my own.

With less than 1 min. our board likes to lock the C opposite the table. I noticed the other 3 officials (we had a 6 person crew to do 8 quarters)were confused when the locked down. The confusion occurred when the ball went out of bounds on the the C's sideline. I understand this should be discussed in pregame, but my question is how do most officials like to handle this. The simplest way it seems to me is to let the C handle the throwin and remain in lock Down no matter what direction. Your thoughts
I don't care for the lock down, but when, if, it's used, I prefer locking down at 30.

In your example on the Center throw-in, I would have unlocked, gone with the strongside mechanic, and then relocked.

mick
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 09:52am
Huck Finn

IMHO, the game should dictate where we go regardless of how much time is on the clock. We are there to get into the best position to make calls, aren't we? In your case they should have moved into the correct position to inbound the ball.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 09:53am
Huck Finn

While we are on this subject, can someone tell me the benefits of locking down? Is there something that could be missed that isn't going to be missed if you flex in the first minute of the game? Maybe I will have a change of heart.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm not crazy about the lockdown, but the NBA does it, so it must be the right way to do it. Right?

In any case, if you're going to lock down, it should only apply to when the ball is live within the last shot-clock cycle of the period. (Last 24 seconds of the quarter for NBA, last 35 seconds of the half for NCAA men, last 30 seconds of the half for NCAA women.)

It makes no sense to me at all to stay locked down through a dead ball period, if a rotation is normally dictated during that dead ball (e.g., ball goes OOB on C's line).

Like mick (hey mick, we agree again!! ), I would've rotated so that the C became the new T after the throw-in and then remained locked down in that position.

JMO.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I'm not crazy about the lockdown, but the NBA does it, so it must be the right way to do it. Right?

In any case, if you're going to lock down, it should only apply to when the ball is live within the last shot-clock cycle of the period. (Last 24 seconds of the quarter for NBA, last 35 seconds of the half for NCAA men, last 30 seconds of the half for NCAA women.)

It makes no sense to me at all to stay locked down through a dead ball period, if a rotation is normally dictated during that dead ball (e.g., ball goes OOB on C's line).

Like mick (hey mick, we agree again!! ), I would've rotated so that the C became the new T after the throw-in and then remained locked down in that position.

JMO.
It's my understanding the ncaaw lock down because the C has the last shot on either side of the foor and there migh be confusion before a rotaton is completed. Since ncaam gives the last shot to the C or T opposite this is not a problem and there's no need to lock down. Who has the last shot in NBA mechanics?
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Who has the last shot in NBA mechanics?
If the play originates in the frontcourt, C has last shot.

If the play originates in the backcourt with 5.0 seconds or more on the game clock, C has last shot.

If the play originates in the backcourt with 4.9 seconds or less on the game clock, T has last shot.

That's how it was in 2002. I have no idea if it's changed since then, but I doubt it.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 10:36am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Like mick (hey mick, we agree again!!
Chuck,
'Bout all we've disagreed on is something that'll never happen. I bet we could get through a game all right.
mick
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
I bet we could get through a game all right.
mick
I've still got some open dates. What'd you have in mind?
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 10:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
I bet we could get through a game all right.
mick
I've still got some open dates. What'd you have in mind?
As I said before, lotsa openings in mine.
I'm just weak.
Got anything in DI ? I'm there!
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Got anything in DI ? I'm there!
You wish. Actually, so do I.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

It's my understanding the ncaaw lock down because the C has the last shot on either side of the foor and there migh be confusion before a rotaton is completed. Since ncaam gives the last shot to the C or T opposite this is not a problem and there's no need to lock down. Who has the last shot in NBA mechanics?
It's also better (imho) to have the C take the last second shot in the event of a quick turn-over. If T&L are opposite the table, then you could have T making a call on a shot from a long way away.

The "lock-down" doesn't prevent the L from coming over -- it just means that C will still be C if the ball goes the other way, and old-L / new T will cross back over.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 12:40pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

The "lock-down" doesn't prevent the L from coming over -- it just means that C will still be C if the ball goes the other way, and old-L / new T will cross back over.

Then you must mean locc-down.