The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

You make the call

This happened in a sub district game the other night and I heard this second hand and have not found it yet in the rule book. Here goes :

A team starts the game with 7 players. One fouls out leaving them with 6. As the game goes along, one of the players on this team gets into it with the coach and the coach tells him to go to the locker room, he's done for the night. During the 4th quarter, another player fouls out leaving this team with only 4 players on the floor. They would still have 5 except the coach told the disruptive player on his team to hit the high road to the locker room. Here's the question, does the coach have to put that player back in or can he legally play with 4? That player wasn't actually disqualifed from the game, only told to leave by his coach. The kicker is, this team actually ended up holding on for the win to advance to the next round.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Play with 4
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Play with 4
Yep. Coach says he's ineligible, I'm not arguing.

Side note, I hope the coach didn't send the kid alone.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Dude this ones easy. I've watched Hoosiers over 700 times. His team was on the floor.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Didn't we go round and round about this not too long ago?

Anyway, I was on the other side a while back, but I was convinced otherwise. The coach decides who's eligible. Easy enough.

(The only place I can see this being a problem is when a coach has a poor FT shooter on the bench who is the only sub and a player gets injured while being fouled and the coach uses the Hoosiers line. But that's an unlikely enough scenario where I'm not really concerned about it.)
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 12:01pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
Dude this ones easy. I've watched Hoosiers over 700 times. His team was on the floor.
Best sports movie ever: Hoosiers or Rudy?
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 12:02pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Neither. Correct answer: Caddy Shack
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Those 2 movies are neck and neck for me but being a basketball guy, gotta go with Hoosiers. Back to the issue, only thing I could say is if that player is a terrible free throw shooter and the coach has the gall to think he can win without him and that's the reason he sent him off, then that's another story. In this case though, the kid was just being a knucklehead. Not sure if someone went with him to the lockerroom or not?
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

One more question that might come up. Say the coach leaves him on the bench where he can keep an eye on him and player #6 just fouled out. You have four on the court plus the knucklehead on the bench. What as an official are you going to do when the coach says he's not going to put him in, continue with four? I have a feeling that's what went these officials minds going into the game on Tuesday night. Have not heard how things went yet.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I'd rather watch a marathon of the "Bachelor" than watch Rudy once. Just one guys opinion.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 12:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I'd rather watch a marathon of the "Bachelor" than watch Rudy once. Just one guys opinion.
I never found Rudy a good movie, let alone a "best" of anything.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 12:13pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Make that two. I cannot stand that movie. I have to say I don't have a real high opinion of the man in real life either.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 12:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellmer View Post
One more question that might come up. Say the coach leaves him on the bench where he can keep an eye on him and player #6 just fouled out. You have four on the court plus the knucklehead on the bench. What as an official are you going to do when the coach says he's not going to put him in, continue with four? I have a feeling that's what went these officials minds going into the game on Tuesday night. Have not heard how things went yet.
Yes, I'd play with 4.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellmer View Post
This happened in a sub district game the other night and I heard this second hand and have not found it yet in the rule book. Here goes :

A team starts the game with 7 players. One fouls out leaving them with 6. As the game goes along, one of the players on this team gets into it with the coach and the coach tells him to go to the locker room, he's done for the night. During the 4th quarter, another player fouls out leaving this team with only 4 players on the floor. They would still have 5 except the coach told the disruptive player on his team to hit the high road to the locker room. Here's the question, does the coach have to put that player back in or can he legally play with 4? That player wasn't actually disqualifed from the game, only told to leave by his coach. The kicker is, this team actually ended up holding on for the win to advance to the next round.
The referees let this team start with 7 players? Around here 5 players get to play at a time

Yes he can legally play with 4. As Snags said, the player should not have gone to the locker room alone, he needed to be accompanied by an adult.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 12:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
The referees let this team start with 7 players? Around here 5 players get to play at a time

Yes he can legally play with 4. As Snags said, the player should not have gone to the locker room alone, he needed to be accompanied by an adult.
Which is why I'd respond the same whether the player in question is on the bench or in the locker room.