The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

6 players in game "discovered while being violated"

I know that there have been numerous posts on this issue over the years, but perhaps this situation is a little different.

1.7 seconds to go in 3rd quarter. multiple subs for team A (and the officials allowed them to come in sequentially - not the topic). Ball inbounded and the quarter ends. B coach alerts officials that A had six on the court. The official can count 6 as they have to walk past him/her to get back to their bench.
Does this satisfy "if discovered while being violated"? Or is the fact that the quarter ended and no official noticed the 6 players prior to the dead ball to end the quarter controlling.

Any different answer if not the end of a quarter and there is a violation and during the dead ball the official notices that there are 6 players on the court?
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

That sounds like one you might let slide.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMrRef View Post
Does this satisfy "if discovered while being violated"? Or is the fact that the quarter ended and no official noticed the 6 players prior to the dead ball to end the quarter controlling.

Any different answer if not the end of a quarter and there is a violation and during the dead ball the official notices that there are 6 players on the court?
Is it illegal to have 6 players on the court during a dead ball?
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Also check out case play 10.1.6(b).

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Duh!

Thanks guys. direct case book play. when i searched the case book electronically i entered "discovered" and that play did not show up as the language in that play is "detected".
Seems pretty clear. Turns out in our play one official has indicated he knew just prior to the horn (but didn't pull the trigger) and the other official not until after the buzzer....
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 02:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Right Back At You ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Is it illegal to have six players on the court during the very short dead ball time period after a made basket by Team A when Team B has not yet taken disposal of the ball out of bounds; either while the clock is running, i.e., after a successful field goal; or while the clock is stopped, i.e., after after a successful free throw?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 02:05pm.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2012, 06:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Step Right Up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMrRef View Post
1.7 seconds to go in 3rd quarter. Ball inbounded and the quarter ends. B coach alerts officials that A had six on the court. The official can count 6 as they have to walk past him/her to get back to their bench.Does this satisfy "if discovered while being violated"? Or is the fact that the quarter ended and no official noticed the 6 players prior to the dead ball to end the quarter controlling. Any different answer if not the end of a quarter and there is a violation and during the dead ball the official notices that there are 6 players on the court?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Is it illegal to have six players on the court during the very short dead ball time period after a made basket by Team A when Team B has not yet taken disposal of the ball out of bounds; either while the clock is running, i.e., after a successful field goal; or while the clock is stopped, i.e., after after a successful free throw?
Well? We've got some questions on the table. How about some answers. Don't be shy.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 25, 2012 at 06:27am.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 11:21am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Something just isn't right about the thread title.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 11:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Participating ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Something just isn't right about the thread title.
The penalty isn't the problem. It's the definition of participating.

A team shall not: Have more than five team members participating simultaneously