The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 09:00pm
I miss being on the floor

Did I Kick This One?

A1, in the back court, passes to A2 in the front court. A2 is not expecting the pass, and the ball bounces off his shoulder and into the back court where A1 picks it up.

I called back court.

The reason I'm second guessing myself is I thought you had to have team and player control in the front court in order to have a back court violation.

Set me straight please.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 09:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Player & Team Control inbounds, last to touch in FC, first to touch in BC. Violation. Essential elements met.

If the pass from A1 were a throw-in then it would not have been a violation b/c Team A's initial Player & Team Control inbounds was not established until A1 got possession in the backcourt.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Player control in the frontcourt is only required when coming from a throw-in. Officiate backcourt calls exactly as you would have last year.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 10:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Player control in the frontcourt is only required when coming from a throw-in. Officiate backcourt calls exactly as you would have last year.
Unfortunately, this isn't what the rule says, even if it is how we're supposed to rule it.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's how I was instructed to call it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Unfortunately, this isn't what the rule says, even if it is how we're supposed to rule it.
Sad, but true. The NFHS really screwed up the text this season.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
A1, in the back court, passes to A2 in the front court. A2 is not expecting the pass, and the ball bounces off his shoulder and into the back court where A1 picks it up.

I called back court.

The reason I'm second guessing myself is I thought you had to have team and player control in the front court in order to have a back court violation.

Set me straight please.
Glad you posted this...it reminded me of a play I had last night in a playoff game. I'm the C coming up the court on a press. Right as I get to half court A1 passes the ball from the backcourt to A2 in the front court. A2 jumps up to catch the high pass...ball deflects off his hands back into the backcourt where A3 grabs the ball.

I pause to process what just occurred focusing specifically on where A2 jumped from....After I played it back that he jumped from the frontcourt, I blew my whistle and signaled backcourt violation. A slight delay...but wanted to make sure I got the call right...
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
Glad you posted this...it reminded me of a play I had last night in a playoff game. I'm the C coming up the court on a press. Right as I get to half court A1 passes the ball from the backcourt to A2 in the front court. A2 jumps up to catch the high pass...ball deflects off his hands back into the backcourt where A3 grabs the ball.

I pause to process what just occurred focusing specifically on where A2 jumped from....After I played it back that he jumped from the frontcourt, I blew my whistle and signaled backcourt violation. A slight delay...but wanted to make sure I got the call right...

Same play as the OP. BC violation.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 09:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Fumbled The Ball ...

Quote:
Officiate backcourt calls exactly as you would have last year.
What if you're a rookie official and don't know about last year?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 10:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
What if you're a rookie official and don't know about last year?
Yeah, that was my ongoing rant on the subject. Hopefully the FED will take the time in the off-season to properly word all the applicable rules.

But at this time of the year officials who are still working HS games shouldn't be rookies and should know how to adjudicate the plays properly.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 11:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

We're Not In Rookie Land Anymore, Toto ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
But at this time of the year officials who are still working HS games shouldn't be rookies and should know how to adjudicate the plays properly.
Good point.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 24, 2012 at 02:17pm.