Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
To further beat this horse:

What if:

What if A1, with the ball, is following B1, who is running towards A's basket. Same path. A1 takes off from the FT line, and before B1 even knows what's going on, A1 crashes through B1, who is still running towards the basket. Are you calling B1 for the block?
I'm with you brother! Great example. This seems crystal clear to me. I was originally shocked when we had others say it would be a block!!!
Forget even a player with the ball! Would we let ANY player jump in the air and then land on the back of the slower moving player in front of them? I would hope not.
I do understand their point of view better now, but I know both sides are reading it differently.

Last edited by Art N; Fri Feb 24, 2012 at 12:45pm.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art N View Post
BTW, I've sent an email to IAABO to see if Mr Webb, etal can shed some light on this. I thought about calling board's interpreter, but I didn't think that would carrier enough weight since we are talking about the written words in the rules book.
Art - appreciate your understanding of the position, and your attempt to get another opinion. My only comment would be that while Mr. Webb may very well have an excellent understanding of the rules, it would still be just another opinion. I wouldn't consider him the final authority on the matter (even if he agrees with me ), because it's the NFHS rules we're dealing with. I will accept something from an NFHS rules committee menmber.

Just FYI, one of the people that agrees with my position is also a respected IAABO rules interpreter. Again, that doesn't make it correct, just that the opinion carries a little more weight.

(Used with permission.)