The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Angry

During the pre-game warmups to start the game, Team "A" has a player dunk on the layup line. A few minutes later Team "B" has a player dunk on the layup line. Now, I am the referee in this crew (3 person) and when I asked one of my partners what did he have? he said one player on Team "A" dunked on the layup line, and he spoke to the players and informed them to stay off of the rim. Then I told him that on the other end our partner "blew his whistle" and handed out a technical foul for a player on Team "B" dunking on the layup line. There was some discussion as to letting the two technical fouls off-set each other and then starting the game with a jump ball. Although, the official who blew his whistle on Team "B" wanted to shoot the technical foul shots and begin the game with Team "A" putting the ball in play at the division line opposite the scorers table, after we shoot the technical foul shots. After some more discussion with my partners we did exactly that. I also had the honor of reporting the technical fouls to the scorers table and explaining what we had to the two head coaches prior to the start of the game. As the referee was it my responsibility to do the reporting? And if we didn't handle this correctly, what should we have done? Also in this situation should an official immediately blow his/her whistle when a player dunks on the layup line, informing everyone that he is giving out a technical foul?
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 06:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb If this is just a summer ball game...............

I think you have to leave this alone. I realize that some will say that "that is the rule," but you have to use some common sense with the setting that you are in. This is a different atmosphere all together if this is summer ball, just warn the kids and move on. Because if you get very strict now, when no one else was doing that before, you just created a $h!thouse for yourself. I am sure you do not have 20 minutes before game time and calling book Ts at the 10 minute mark. If you are, handle your business. If that is not the case, "guys do you want to start the game off with a T?" They usually will get the point and you will start the game off with no problems.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 07:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
During the pre-game warmups to start the game, Team "A" has a player dunk on the layup line. A few minutes later Team "B" has a player dunk on the layup line. Now, I am the referee in this crew (3 person) and when I asked one of my partners what did he have? he said one player on Team "A" dunked on the layup line, and he spoke to the players and informed them to stay off of the rim. Then I told him that on the other end our partner "blew his whistle" and handed out a technical foul for a player on Team "B" dunking on the layup line. There was some discussion as to letting the two technical fouls off-set each other and then starting the game with a jump ball. Although, the official who blew his whistle on Team "B" wanted to shoot the technical foul shots and begin the game with Team "A" putting the ball in play at the division line opposite the scorers table, after we shoot the technical foul shots. After some more discussion with my partners we did exactly that. I also had the honor of reporting the technical fouls to the scorers table and explaining what we had to the two head coaches prior to the start of the game. As the referee was it my responsibility to do the reporting? And if we didn't handle this correctly, what should we have done? Also in this situation should an official immediately blow his/her whistle when a player dunks on the layup line, informing everyone that he is giving out a technical foul?
Butch,I think that once one of your partners called the T,you now gotta call both of them.That's only fair.It's either one T each,or none- with warnings to each team.Any official(not just the referee)can penalize these infractions and also report them-NFHS rules reference is R2-7-5 and R2-8-1.The calling official should inform the appropriate head coach and the player dunking immediately.Not a bad idea,though,for the referee to be the one to get both coaches together and explain it to them before you administer all the penalties,IMO.You also handled the situation correctly by the book-shoot the FT's in order of occurence and A gets the ball for a throw-in(casebook play 6.3.1SitA).Note that both headcoachs also get charged with indirect T's for the dunks,and get seatbelted.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down I guess we didn't get right then............

We never charged both coaches with indirect "T's" and we never put the seatbelt rule on. Are you shure about the seatbelt rule?
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Jurassic nailed it. What else is new?
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Yup, Butch. He's right about the indirects. One of my favorite stories is about a HS team in Indiana. First 3 guys in the pregame layup line all dunked. Three T's, three indirects on the coach, and he's tossed before the opening tip.

Turns out the kids did it on purpose b/c they were upset at the coach for some incident in practice that week.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Question What About The Seabelt Rule?.................

Does the seatbelt rule still appy after the first indirect technical foul?
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Did Team B shoot FTs for A's T?
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Cool YES!

First, team "B" shot two technical foul shots, then "Team" A shot two technical foul shots. We delt with violations in the order in which they occured!
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 08:05pm
In Memoriam

Re: What About The Seabelt Rule?.................

Quote:
Does the seatbelt rule still appy after the first indirect technical foul?
Yup. Casebook covers it twice,Butch- 10.3.5SitC and 10.5SitJ.The rulebook has an explanation under R10-5PENALTY.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: If this is just a summer ball game...............

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I think you have to leave this alone. I realize that some will say that "that is the rule," but you have to use some common sense with the setting that you are in. This is a different atmosphere all together if this is summer ball, just warn the kids and move on. Because if you get very strict now, when no one else was doing that before, you just created a $h!thouse for yourself. I am sure you do not have 20 minutes before game time and calling book Ts at the 10 minute mark. If you are, handle your business. If that is not the case, "guys do you want to start the game off with a T?" They usually will get the point and you will start the game off with no problems.

Peace
Rutledge -- Overall, I agree with you, but I think you have to do it however your assignor tells you to. In our boys' summer league, you are to ask the authority from the gym you are in if they want you to enforce the no-dunk rule. Then you inform the coaches what it's gonna be that evening. This is so that the schools that are concerned about the physical equipment can protect their goods, but in other gyms the kids can go ahead and practice dunking. It gives some flexibility, while maximizing the number of gyms the league can use. So Butch should probably ask the assignir what he or she wants, and then follow that policy.

PS Smart coaches would do the same. Last year, I had a summer league game where the kids were dunking. I followed the policy which had been given me, and went and warned the coach first. He said, "WHAT!?!?! You give every one of them a T. I've told them and told them not to dunk..." and he marched right out on the floor and started yelling at the kids. I "granted" the T's, but didn't toss the coach, and the game started with Team B shooting eight free throws.

[Edited by rainmaker on Jun 9th, 2003 at 08:46 PM]
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Two Top AAU Teams..........

Just for the record, this game was between two nationally ranked AAU teams. The Riverside Church (NYC) -VS- The Gauchos (NYC) and this was the senior division championship game. I think if one of my partners did not blow his whistle to let everyone know he had a technical foul we could have just let the game start with a jump ball. That is what the site- director at the league suggested. Unfortunately, that's when strong personalities came into play. So we decided to get the game started!
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 10:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Relaxed environment.

The summer ball that I do, there is no assignor looking over our shoulder. When it comes to regular pregame activities, it is not like a regular season game. We are not trying to give Ts for dunks or hanging on the rim. We might tell them to knock it off, and they do. Summer leagues around here are very relaxed environments. Many cases there might not even be players fouling out or FTs shoot. The only thing really kept are team fouls. It just depends on the league and the rules the individual league decides to use.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 10:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Maybe a question you cannot answer.

Quote:
I think if one of my partners did not blow his whistle to let everyone know he had a technical foul we could have just let the game start with a jump ball. That is what the site- director at the league suggested. Unfortunately, that's when strong personalities came into play. So we decided to get the game started!
Why in the world did the official blow his whistle in this situation anyway? I have never known an official to blow his whistle for this.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down I don't know why he blew his whistle either!

And I must admit that I never saw an official ever blow his whistle in this situation! I don't know what was going through his mind at the time, but it brought alot of attention to our crew.