View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: If this is just a summer ball game...............

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I think you have to leave this alone. I realize that some will say that "that is the rule," but you have to use some common sense with the setting that you are in. This is a different atmosphere all together if this is summer ball, just warn the kids and move on. Because if you get very strict now, when no one else was doing that before, you just created a $h!thouse for yourself. I am sure you do not have 20 minutes before game time and calling book Ts at the 10 minute mark. If you are, handle your business. If that is not the case, "guys do you want to start the game off with a T?" They usually will get the point and you will start the game off with no problems.

Peace
Rutledge -- Overall, I agree with you, but I think you have to do it however your assignor tells you to. In our boys' summer league, you are to ask the authority from the gym you are in if they want you to enforce the no-dunk rule. Then you inform the coaches what it's gonna be that evening. This is so that the schools that are concerned about the physical equipment can protect their goods, but in other gyms the kids can go ahead and practice dunking. It gives some flexibility, while maximizing the number of gyms the league can use. So Butch should probably ask the assignir what he or she wants, and then follow that policy.

PS Smart coaches would do the same. Last year, I had a summer league game where the kids were dunking. I followed the policy which had been given me, and went and warned the coach first. He said, "WHAT!?!?! You give every one of them a T. I've told them and told them not to dunk..." and he marched right out on the floor and started yelling at the kids. I "granted" the T's, but didn't toss the coach, and the game started with Team B shooting eight free throws.

[Edited by rainmaker on Jun 9th, 2003 at 08:46 PM]