View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Angry

During the pre-game warmups to start the game, Team "A" has a player dunk on the layup line. A few minutes later Team "B" has a player dunk on the layup line. Now, I am the referee in this crew (3 person) and when I asked one of my partners what did he have? he said one player on Team "A" dunked on the layup line, and he spoke to the players and informed them to stay off of the rim. Then I told him that on the other end our partner "blew his whistle" and handed out a technical foul for a player on Team "B" dunking on the layup line. There was some discussion as to letting the two technical fouls off-set each other and then starting the game with a jump ball. Although, the official who blew his whistle on Team "B" wanted to shoot the technical foul shots and begin the game with Team "A" putting the ball in play at the division line opposite the scorers table, after we shoot the technical foul shots. After some more discussion with my partners we did exactly that. I also had the honor of reporting the technical fouls to the scorers table and explaining what we had to the two head coaches prior to the start of the game. As the referee was it my responsibility to do the reporting? And if we didn't handle this correctly, what should we have done? Also in this situation should an official immediately blow his/her whistle when a player dunks on the layup line, informing everyone that he is giving out a technical foul?