The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 11:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: I don't know why he blew his whistle either!

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
And I must admit that I never saw an official ever blow his whistle in this situation! I don't know what was going through his mind at the time, but it brought alot of attention to our crew.
Usually you do not blow you whistle just in case you can get away with not calling a T. Blow the whistle, all you do is draw attention to yourself. Not the good kind either.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 10, 2003, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: I don't know why he blew his whistle either!

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Usually you do not blow you whistle just in case you can get away with not calling a T. Blow the whistle, all you do is draw attention to yourself. Not the good kind either.
We are told, during the season, to not blow the whistle for this, unless it seems likely that someone is about to do it again, before you can get to the coach. When a dunk happens we are supposed to hustle over to that team's head coach and let him know what happened, so he can stop any more. But if someone appears about to do it again, blow the whistle and tell the kids, "No more dunking!" to stop any more T's. Then get to that team's head coach, then the table, then the other head coach.

Also, if it's a team that has a reputation for this kind of thing, I go to the head coach first chance I get and just remind him about the rule and that we are enforcing it. We have one team here that often chooses to start out with the other team shooting. They figure it's worth the two points--or six-- for the intimidation factor.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2003, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Exclamation Rainmaker

I like how you are taught to handle this situation.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2003, 03:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

I make sure that during the girls summer league I am working, I inform the teams before warmups not to dunk. I especially am sure to warn the freshmen.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2003, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Wink Girls Dunking!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I make sure that during the girls summer league I am working, I inform the teams before warmups not to dunk. I especially am sure to warn the freshmen.
LOL. I'd say the dunk would definitely be worth the T in this case! Does climbing up the net count?
Old Tue Jun 10, 2003, 05:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool Re: Girls Dunking!

Quote:
Originally posted by PGCougar
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
LOL. I'd say the dunk would definitely be worth the T in this case! Does climbing up the net count?
Actually, if any of these girls could dunk, especially a freshman, I wouldn't give her a T, I would sign on as her agent.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2003, 06:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb We have a couple of girls.............

around here that dunk on a regular basis for show all the time. One of them did it in a game last year and was named the Gatorade Female High School Player of the Year. Get this, she was only a Junior. She also won a couple other national awards after her team won the State Title in Class AA. So maybe it does not happen in your neck of the woods, but we have a few girls that you might have to watch out for. BTW, the girl I am talking about is Candace Parker of Naperville Central High School, right in my back yard.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Thumbs up Re: We have a couple of girls.............

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
around here that dunk on a regular basis for show all the time. One of them did it in a game last year and was named the Gatorade Female High School Player of the Year. Get this, she was only a Junior. She also won a couple other national awards after her team won the State Title in Class AA. So maybe it does not happen in your neck of the woods, but we have a few girls that you might have to watch out for. BTW, the girl I am talking about is Candace Parker of Naperville Central High School, right in my back yard.

Peace
Been coaching for about 15 years. Did boys the first seven and girls the past eight. I remember reading about Candace Parker and telling my own group of HS girls about it. I've been impressed with the gains made the last few decades in women's ball, but jumping ability is still one of the major chasms between boys and girls ball.

Would have been cool to see that dunk live. Can only imagine everyone's response that was there to see it (even if it was a small crowd typical in girls HS ball).