The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 02:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Book It, It's The Fashion Police ...

Prep school game yesterday. Black is warming up before the game. Three Black players are wearing black "leggings". Tights? Long socks? Who knows? My partner and I chose to ignore, which surely makes us part of the problem, not part of the solution. We're just kicking the can down the road to the next "Fashion Police" officials, as previous officials had obviously done to us.

Black is warming up with all players wearing warmup jackets. As the game progresses, and more players take off their warmup jackets, and come off the bench into the game, I note that a few Black players had black arm compression sleeves, and one Black player had a white arm compression sleeve. It was late in the first half by the time I noted this, so I waited until halftime to approach a Black assistant coach and tell him that all the players must have the same color arm compression sleeves to participate in the second half. He says that he'll take care of it, and he did. The black sleeves came off, and the player with the white sleeve kept his on.

As I'm waiting at the division line to administer the throwin to Black to start the second half, the Black throwin player politely asks me about the arm compression sleeves. I reply that they all must be the same color. A nearby Black player asks me about his black "tights". I reply that I wasn't sure if they were tights, or very long socks. Throwin player says to me, "Hey. This is getting weird". He was right, it was weird, and it would have felt weirder with female players.

When it comes to issues of proper uniforms, and equipment, I'm usually a "Fashion Police Son Of A Bit*h". Illegal undershirts? Illegal headbands? Illegal wrist bands? Illegal arm compression sleeves? Go to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect two hundred dollars.

That's when it comes to proper uniforms, and equipment, above the waist. In the past, I have generally ignored anything below the waist. But lately, tights have become more, and more, popular, among both players, and officials.

How do you handle this issue? When you note these while watching the warmups, exactly what do you say? "You can't wear tights". "Are those tights?" What are those you're wearing?" Do any of you ignore them, as we did yesterday, secretly hoping they are really just very long socks? Are you more "timid" asking girls about this issue? Are we "can kickers", or are we "Fashion Police Sons Of Bit*hes"?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 19, 2012 at 03:46pm.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

If they're tights...

...and we know they're tights, they can't participate while wearing them. We notify the head coach, and they're expected to deal with it.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 08:53pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga314ref View Post
...and we know they're tights, they can't participate while wearing them. We notify the head coach, and they're expected to deal with it.
What he said. Leg sleeves are probably the next thing NFHS needs to address.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

It's really not that hard.

Girls game last week. One girl on the visiting team during warmups was wearing what appeared to be either long socks or tights. Didn't ignore it, just asked her, "are those socks or tights?" She replied they were tights. I told her she can't play wearing tights. She left the floor and removed them.
Girls tournament game yesterday: two girls wearing ribbons. Partner told them the ribbons had to be removed. They complied but of course they came up with "We've worn ribbons the last two years." I told my partner I knew that wasn't true because I had this team twice this season and no one wore ribbons.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 09:29pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Saw the highlights on the Tampa station of a local regional game a couple nights ago. Headband with logo. So, even if you try to enforce it, someone else will not.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Saw the highlights on the Tampa station of a local regional game a couple nights ago. Headband with logo. So, even if you try to enforce it, someone else will not.
Or perhaps that someone else actually knows the correct rule!

A headband MAY have a logo as long as it meets the size requirements.

Rule 3
SECTION 6 LOGO/TRADEMARK/REFERENCE
ART. 1 . . .
One visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference or school
logo/mascot is permitted on the wristbands, headband, compression shorts and arm compression sleeve. (3-5-3, 3-5-4, 3-5-7).

ART. 2 . . .
The size shall be limited to 2¼ square inches and shall not exceed 2¼ inches in any dimension on any item.

Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Prep school game yesterday. Black is warming up before the game. Three Black players are wearing black "leggings". Tights? Long socks? Who knows? My partner and I chose to ignore, which surely makes us part of the problem, not part of the solution. We're just kicking the can down the road to the next "Fashion Police" officials, as previous officials had obviously done to us.

Black is warming up with all players wearing warmup jackets. As the game progresses, and more players take off their warmup jackets, and come off the bench into the game, I note that a few Black players had black arm compression sleeves, and one Black player had a white arm compression sleeve. It was late in the first half by the time I noted this, so I waited until halftime to approach a Black assistant coach and tell him that all the players must have the same color arm compression sleeves to participate in the second half. He says that he'll take care of it, and he did. The black sleeves came off, and the player with the white sleeve kept his on.

As I'm waiting at the division line to administer the throwin to Black to start the second half, the Black throwin player politely asks me about the arm compression sleeves. I reply that they all must be the same color. A nearby Black player asks me about his black "tights". I reply that I wasn't sure if they were tights, or very long socks. Throwin player says to me, "Hey. This is getting weird". He was right, it was weird, and it would have felt weirder with female players.

When it comes to issues of proper uniforms, and equipment, I'm usually a "Fashion Police Son Of A Bit*h". Illegal undershirts? Illegal headbands? Illegal wrist bands? Illegal arm compression sleeves? Go to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect two hundred dollars.

That's when it comes to proper uniforms, and equipment, above the waist. In the past, I have generally ignored anything below the waist. But lately, tights have become more, and more, popular, among both players, and officials.

How do you handle this issue? When you note these while watching the warmups, exactly what do you say? "You can't wear tights". "Are those tights?" What are those you're wearing?" Do any of you ignore them, as we did yesterday, secretly hoping they are really just very long socks? Are you more "timid" asking girls about this issue? Are we "can kickers", or are we "Fashion Police Sons Of Bit*hes"?

Billy,
Don't make me tell you that you are acting cowardly. Now get out there and enforce the rules as you should!
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 07:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Sounds Legal To Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
two girls wearing ribbons. Partner told them the ribbons had to be removed. They complied but of course they came up with "We've worn ribbons the last two years."
Headbands go around the head. Hair control devices go around hair. There are no color restrictions on hair control devices as there are on headbands. However, they must be used to control hair, not as hair decorations.

NFHS 3-5-4-D: Rubber, cloth or elastic bands may be used to control hair. Hard items, including, but not limited to, beads, barrettes and bobby pins, are prohibited.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 20, 2012 at 08:16am.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 07:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

From Now On, No More Tights ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Don't make me tell you that you are acting cowardly. Now get out there and enforce the rules as you should!
I hope that I wasn't being cowardly, I was just trying to not be an overly officious official. I also got "enforce the rules as you should" advice from a top notch veteran official who I greatly respect when I discussed this situation with him.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 20, 2012 at 07:41am.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Aww, come on...

I actually like the Cowardly Lion

At any rate, I've wondered why some of my brethren don't like dealing with uniform issues. The fact that NFHS - and NCAA - keep emphasizing them every year means the rules makers (i.e., coaches) want these things dealt with.

I had a game last Feb. involving teams I hadn't seen before. The home team wore warmups during the pre-game and as they came on the court for the jump ball I noticed their starting point guard was wearing a maroon undershirt under his white jersey. I told coach he needed to take it off and was met with, "This is ridiculous! We're 18 games into the season and no one has told my kid to take this off before!" My response: "Coach, I can't speak to what anyone else has done but the rule is he can't play with that on." He took it off.

Unfortunately, being the fashion police is part of our job now. Taking care of business may be a pain but I'd rather be a pain for doing what I'm supposed to do. That coach could've complained to my assignor forever but I had the rule book on my side.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 08:16am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Headbands go around the head. Hair control devices go around hair. There are no color restrictions on hair control devices as there are on headbands.

NFHS 3-5-4-D: Rubber, cloth or elastic bands may be used to control hair. Hard items, including, but not limited to, beads, barrettes and bobby pins, are prohibited.
Keep looking Billy...

3-5-4-e

Head decorations and headwear, except those specified above, are prohibited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan
At any rate, I've wondered why some of my brethren don't like dealing with uniform issues.
Agreed. Take care of it early and move on. They may gripe but as you said, the rules are on our side. We really have no excuse in my chapter because the chapter leadership has stated time and again that they want this taken care of.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Girls are the worst.... in many ways

The thing that drives me crazy as a high school girls coach is having one team follow all the uniform/dress codes and then have another team express themselves with ....... socks. Not white or black shin high socks, but tie-dye knee length explosions of color. And then they trade with each other. We had a game where the top six from another team all had one tie-dye sock up to their knee and then a black or white one up to the shin. At least they all wore the tie-dye one on their left leg. Girls.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 08:37am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsont1977 View Post
The thing that drives me crazy as a high school girls coach is having one team follow all the uniform/dress codes and then have another team express themselves with ....... socks. Not white or black shin high socks, but tie-dye knee length explosions of color. And then they trade with each other. We had a game where the top six from another team all had one tie-dye sock up to their knee and then a black or white one up to the shin. At least they all wore the tie-dye one on their left leg. Girls.
Whatever you do, please don't raise this as an issue with the Federation...the last thing I want to do is become the sock police also.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

I'm making the transition from sub-varsity to varsity and so am usually the U2 with two more experienced officials. In those situations I will ask if we're being uniform police tonight and follow their lead (i.e., when in Rome). I don't feel great about doing that but at least the subject is brought up.

If I'm the R for any game, however, the uniform rules get enforced as written.

It's interesting that in an avocation that is prone to so much judgment and interpretation for just about everything there can be such an issue with something that is so clearly defined.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 10:13am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I'm making the transition from sub-varsity to varsity and so am usually the U2 with two more experienced officials. In those situations I will ask if we're being uniform police tonight and follow their lead (i.e., when in Rome). I don't feel great about doing that but at least the subject is brought up.

If I'm the R for any game, however, the uniform rules get enforced as written.

It's interesting that in an avocation that is prone to so much judgment and interpretation for just about everything there can be such an issue with something that is so clearly defined.
I know I feel better if they are enforced by the R. Because I know that if those details are tended to, that if an unusual situation arises, proper enforcement and/or administration of the rules is likely.