Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 01:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hair Decorations ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Keep looking Billy. 3-5-4-e. Head decorations and headwear, except those specified above, are prohibited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
However, they must be used to control hair, not as hair decorations.
I already covered that.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 01:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hair Control Devices ???

Quote:
Head decorations and headwear, except those specified above, are prohibited.
If cloth ribbons, in any color of the rainbow, are used to control hair, then they are legal. You gotta problem with that? Wanna to fight about it? Wanna bet $10,000.00 of Mitt Romney's money?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 01:26pm
Archaic Power Monger

I've only seen ribbon attached as an adornment, I guess I'd take it any other way on a case by case basis but I believe the intent of the rule is that a ribbon with bows is not to be a hair control device.

Last edited by Welpe; Mon Feb 20, 2012 at 01:29pm.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
At any rate, I've wondered why some of my brethren don't like dealing with uniform issues. The fact that NFHS - and NCAA - keep emphasizing them every year means the rules makers (i.e., coaches) want these things dealt with.
Because in the grand scheme of things, uniform violations don't really affect anyone...no one was ever on SportsCenter or YouTube because they forgot to enforce an undershirt color restriction or broke some logo restriction. In fact, I'd say if the rules makers (i.e. coaches) keep emphasizing this and want this dealt with, that they do so themselves since they hold all the cards...wear this or you don't play.

And just to answer the questions that might come after this, yes I do decide to enforce only some rules...such as traveling, 5 seconds, etc.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Tue Feb 21, 2012 at 10:18am.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 02:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ribbons ...

Quote:
I believe the intent of the rule is that a ribbon with bows is not to be a hair control device.
If that was the intent of the NFHS, then why rule that "cloth ... bands may be used to control hair". Let's see. Fifteen down. Cloth band used to control hair. Six letters. Starts with "R". Ends with "N". Any crossword puzzle experts out there in "Forum Land" want to help out Welpe?

Also, if they have to tie it with a knot, then why not a bow? Got a better knot to suggest? Maybe a Flemish Flake Spiral Coil knot?

Welpe. Please note: I do agree with you that it's illegal if a hair ribbon is used solely as a decoration. I'm "pushing" the limits of this thread because I don't want rookie officials thinking that hair ribbons are "always" illegal. I am not trying to be obnoxious. I'll leave that up to a few other esteemed Forum members. That's right. You guys know who you are. It's not a secret. Want to fight about it?

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 20, 2012 at 05:53pm.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Not a Chance!

Quote:
Whatever you do, please don't raise this as an issue with the Federation...the last thing I want to do is become the sock police also.
No. I could care less about all of the uniform/dress code rules. Just have the uniforms the same colors for every team member and throw a ball out there.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 09:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

"But He Let Us Wear Them Last Week" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsont1977 View Post
I could care less about all of the uniform/dress code rules.
So you don't enforce any of the NFHS rules regarding uniforms, and equipment? Red undershirt under a blue uniform? Man, I'm glad that I don't have the next game after you with that team. Ever play kick the can?

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 21, 2012 at 10:42am.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So you don't enforce any of the NFHS rules regarding uniforms, and equipment? Red undershirt under a blue uniform? Man, I'm glad that I don't have the next game after you with that team. Ever play kick the can?
So you didn't enforce the legging rule? (or wouldn't enforce the ribbon rule?) Man, I'm glad I don't have the next game after you with that team.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 09:46am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
So is it memory or reading comprehension that is first to go?
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Exactly. I'm not going to go looking for uniform issues but if they're there I have to deal with them. I hate hearing "no one said this to us all season." Granted, sometimes they're lying but not all of the time.

If one of my brethren isn't going to enforce the "little stuff," I get worried about the big stuff such as keeping control of coaches.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 10:34am
Esteemed Forum Member

Reformed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
So you didn't enforce the legging rule? Man, I'm glad I don't have the next game after you with that team.
Quote:
From Now On, No More Tights.
What part of "From Now On, No More Tights" did you not understand?

Also, it's pretty big stretch to go from some hesitation regarding a specific part of the uniform, and equipment, rules to ignoring all of the uniform, and equipment rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsont1977 View Post
I could care less about all of the uniform/dress code rules.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 21, 2012 at 02:06pm.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 10:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Ribbon Rule ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Or wouldn't enforce the ribbon rule?
I'm allowing a player to use a cloth band, otherwise known as a ribbon, that happens to be tied in a bow, to control her hair. I am not allowing her to use the ribbon, tied in a bow, to decorate her hair.

Pray tell, exactly what part of the "ribbon rule" am I not enforcing?

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 21, 2012 at 11:10am.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

Tiddlywinks ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I'm not going to go looking for uniform issues.
Isn't that one of our many responsibilities while we're observng the teams warming up?

Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Isn't that one of our many responsibilities while we're observing the teams warming up?
What I find in our area is that almost all teams have a warm-up on that totally covers the uniform. Can check for head bands and hair control devises but no chance to check tee shirts, wrist bands, shooting sleeves.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Point ref2coach ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
What I find in our area is that almost all teams have a warm-up on that totally covers the uniform. Can check for head bands and hair control devises but no chance to check tee shirts, wrist bands, shooting sleeves.
You're right. This past weekend, we didn't note different color arm compression sleeves until after several players removed their warmup jackets and came off the bench to enter the game.

I hate it when that happens. Strip searches before the game? Use one of those X-Ray devices used by those Transportation Security Administration agents?

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 21, 2012 at 01:56pm.