The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 18, 2012, 11:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Karma!

I have a friend that was banned by a coach for something that happened during this season early on. Me and this official were supposed to work a game with this team a few weeks back, but he was removed from the game because the coach had banned him. It actually was the only game where I lost to weather that was cancelled from a bad snow storm the day of the game. Now in a week or so the playoffs start and guess were my friend was assigned to work the first level of playoffs? You got it, at the school and with the coach that banned him.

I just love how coaches get so concerned with who is on their games but when they have little control over these things, they get that very same official they did not want to see. It was hilarious to me when I saw a listing of the officials and the sites and my friend was working at this school. I worked with him tonight and we had a good laugh about the situation.

This is why I say, "Do your job and let the chips fall where they may."

Peace
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have a friend that was banned by a coach for something that happened during this season early on. Me and this official were supposed to work a game with this team a few weeks back, but he was removed from the game because the coach had banned him. It actually was the only game where I lost to weather that was cancelled from a bad snow storm the day of the game. Now in a week or so the playoffs start and guess were my friend was assigned to work the first level of playoffs? You got it, at the school and with the coach that banned him.

I just love how coaches get so concerned with who is on their games but when they have little control over these things, they get that very same official they did not want to see. It was hilarious to me when I saw a listing of the officials and the sites and my friend was working at this school. I worked with him tonight and we had a good laugh about the situation.

This is why I say, "Do your job and let the chips fall where they may."

Peace
How did the coach accomplish this? Friends with the AD?
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 01:23am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 View Post
How did the coach accomplish this? Friends with the AD?
Well coaches often request not to see a certain officials or set of officials to their conference assignor. Usually the assignor will accommodate if possible as there are enough schools to go around so this is not a problem. The IHSA assigns every single playoff game statewide, so if it is made known to the officials that they were banned, this can happen. Now there is a coach that made such a big deal he gets the very guy in a possible two win or go home games. Funny!!!

Peace
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 04:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well coaches often request not to see a certain officials or set of officials to their conference assignor. Usually the assignor will accommodate if possible as there are enough schools to go around so this is not a problem. The IHSA assigns every single playoff game statewide, so if it is made known to the officials that they were banned, this can happen. Now there is a coach that made such a big deal he gets the very guy in a possible two win or go home games. Funny!!!

Peace
I guess the postseason is best two out of three in his area!
Must be a local thing.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

The opposite would happen here with most assignors. request not to see someone and that coach is pretty much guaranteed to see that official. A friend of mine who is the GV coach as a state ranked school gave her assignor a list of three officials she would prefer to not see. Guess who showed up to do the first conference game of the year? Yep. The three. It was a nice learning experience for her. I tried to warn her.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 01:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
The opposite would happen here with most assignors. request not to see someone and that coach is pretty much guaranteed to see that official. A friend of mine who is the GV coach as a state ranked school gave her assignor a list of three officials she would prefer to not see. Guess who showed up to do the first conference game of the year? Yep. The three. It was a nice learning experience for her. I tried to warn her.
One thing I love about areas like this -- the assignors work for the officials as much as for the schools and don't act like their jobs are in jeopardy every time a coach screeches at them.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 02:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I guess the postseason is best two out of three in his area!
Must be a local thing.
Kind of because the same crew works a entire regional. The only exception is if they play two games on the same night. They bring in another crew to work the second game. In this particular regional, this crew has every game (4). If that particular coach wants to advance to the next level, they have to have the same officiating crew twice and the individual he banned from his games during the regular season. So the coach banned a guy that he will have to deal with for likely two games (semi-final and final).

Peace
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 03:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
The opposite would happen here with most assignors. request not to see someone and that coach is pretty much guaranteed to see that official.
Not all assignors have the same policy or handle these situations the same way, nor should they. We have many conferences that have 12 teams or more and we are only going to work 3 or 4 games for a particular assignor anyway. So if a coach bans you there are so many other places to go. I feel if you are not banned from some place you are not doing your job anyway. I learned a long time ago if you are banned from some place you probably passed a bunch of schools to get to them anyway. And unlike conference assigning they do not control assigning tournaments or post season. So be careful what you wish for.

Peace