The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Head injury...

I am an offcial in Idaho where there is a bill going infront of our house right now about more education for officials and coaches around head injuries of athletes......
Athletics coaches and officials would be required to remove players from games who show signs of a concussion, according to a measure aimed at boosting protections for young athletes who suffer head injuries.
Read more here: BOISE, Idaho: Idaho considers changes to state concussion law | Varsity Extra: High School Sports | Idahostatesman.com

I am wondering what the thoughts of other referee's is about this.

Last edited by isualum12; Thu Feb 16, 2012 at 05:43pm.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isualum12 View Post
I am an offcial in Idaho where there is a bill going infront of our house right now about more education for officials and coaches around head injuries of athletes......
Athletics coaches and officials would be required to remove players from games who show signs of a concussion, according to a measure aimed at boosting protections for young athletes who suffer head injuries.
Read more here: BOISE, Idaho: Idaho considers changes to state concussion law | Varsity Extra: High School Sports | Idahostatesman.com

My thought is that the bill in Idaho is redundant. There is already an NFHS rule requiring officials to do exactly that. The NFHS put this rule in for all sports last year. Does anyone in the state legislature bother to check if such is already covered in the HS sports rules before introducing legislation?

Here is the text from the basketball rules book:
The officials shall:...
. .
Immediately remove a player from the game who exhibits signs,
symptoms or behaviors consistent with a concussion as in 3-3-8. (See NFHS

Suggested Guidelines for Management of Concussion in Appendix D on page 77.)
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am an offcial in Idaho...
Hey...I use to teach in Idaho (Melba, ID.)...only for one year right out of college! Went to NNU, Nampa, ID...brother still lives in Boise, ID.

You stated you were doing a 5A game. If I remember right, and it has nothing to do with your OP, isn't 1A the largest school classification in Idaho?

BTW...sounds like you handled your situation well. This year in WA...I have had several incidents where players have had to leave because of possible concussions.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 06:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think codifying this into law is a bad idea. As Nevada pointed out, the rule is already in place, so the law will only do two things.

1. Keep the requirements in place in case the NFHS ever removes the requirement. But they'll never remove this requirement, so that's not necessary.
2. Open officials up to criminal and/or civil liability if they don't recognize concussion symptoms. Even this is redundant, but making it a law would perhaps give such lawsuits and/or prosecutions a little extra force. I don't see this as a good thing. Great intentions gone wrong, again.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 06:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Has anyone read the actual proposed language in the bill? Is it for all athletic events, or just those under NF rules? Just because it's under NF rules doesn't mean rec leagues are subject to that rule, so it certainly wouldn't be redundant there.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Massachusetts passed a similar law in 2010. It requires athletes, parents, coaches and officials in all sports (and some other activities) at public high schools to get information, etc. about concussions. Officials must take an online concussion course through the NFHS.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Hey...I use to teach in Idaho (Melba, ID.)...only for one year right out of college! Went to NNU, Nampa, ID...brother still lives in Boise, ID.

You stated you were doing a 5A game. If I remember right, and it has nothing to do with your OP, isn't 1A the largest school classification in Idaho?
Used to be that A-1 was the largest class and A-4 the smallest. They changed to the current system (A-1D1->5A, A-1D2->4A, A-2->3A, etc.) in 2001, stating a desire to be parallel to neighboring states' systems.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 04:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

We have a similar law being proposed here as well but it focuses on how long the player stays out of the game or what procedures must be followed to come back. I do not find this redundant as rules will change and the laws may not. Rules of the game are not laws of the land. I am not saying that I would like such a law, but I certainly can understand why something is being constructed to cover this on some level. Often laws like this do not consider the application and only want to make a law to cover something. I think the law should apply to the schools and coaches as they are the ones ultimately responsible for their kids. Officials often have no idea what a player might be experiencing as it relates to a concussion.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 05:03pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

This rule exists in Canadian football.

We discussed it a lot at the beginning of the year. I feel we implemented it with minimal effort.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 05:09pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I had a game earlier this season whereby I directed a player out of the game. The coach said he talked to the player and the player said he was fine. The player came out of the game. The player later re-entered the game. I marked in the scorebook the actions that I took, and when I took them. In FL, the officials do not prevent re-entry--the coach takes on the responsibility if a HCP has deemed the player okay to return.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpie View Post
Used to be that A-1 was the largest class and A-4 the smallest. They changed to the current system (A-1D1->5A, A-1D2->4A, A-2->3A, etc.) in 2001, stating a desire to be parallel to neighboring states' systems.
Amusing as NV is changing next year from the 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A system to D1, D2, D3, D4. This will match how CA does it.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 06:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Amusing as NV is changing next year from the 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A system to D1, D2, D3, D4. This will match how CA does it.
Wisconsin goes from D1 to D5.