The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Hey guys I had two injury situations this weekend one last night and one today. Last night we had one kid from team A come on with a medical alert bracelet for diabetes. In the middle of the game the team A trainer as I'm passing my after team A scored says that the diabetic is having problems and needs insulin. I looked at him and couldn't belive he was having problems he seemed just normal to me. I was hesitant to blow the whistle as team B had the ball, I however stopped play to let the player come off. Sould I of?
Today an 8th grade girl was springting down the court, and tried to jump stop and landed on the side of one of her ankels and immediatly went down in pain. I cane in and saw something that looked like it was about to poke out of the skin. We called the coach out and he was like ill just get her up and help her off. Well something inside of me told me that she was really hurt and I finnaly said NO coach we are calling EMS. In the end they air casted it and took her off. I found out later tonight that she snaped the bone right above her ankel. How I don't know but I am glad that I ensisted on EMS, but should I. Obviously if their had been a trainer I would have listened to him but since it was just a coach, is what I did okay?
sorry for the long post. thanks again
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 11:30pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Thumbs up

Above all else, our duties call for the safety of the players.

Unless you are a doctor, reserve your doubts of what you're told about someone needing an insulin shot. Stop the play and get the player his needed medical attention.

And if you are a doctor, stop the game anyways, and get the player his needed medical attention.

Moving the girl and risking a bone protruding from the skin is not an effective method of dealing with the injured player.

You did the correct thing, in both cases!