The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Ncaa pass/crash @ arc--blood rule

Need help with two rulings as I don't have my books handy.

Play 1
Player A drives towards the basket and passes the ball to a teammate. After passing we have a crash with the defender in the arc. Does this result in an automatic block because of the arc rule or is the arc non-existent because it was a crash after a pass which would be a pushing foul, not a player control.

A kid who is going to attempt free throws is discovered to be bleeding before the free throws are attempted. He is directed to leave and has 20 seconds to remedy the problem or a substitute/TO must be made. Does the opposing coach get to choose one of the remaining 4 players or is it the substitute who attempts the free throws?

Thank you
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial View Post

Play 1
Player A drives towards the basket and passes the ball to a teammate. After passing we have a crash with the defender in the arc. Does this result in an automatic block because of the arc rule or is the arc non-existent because it was a crash after a pass which would be a pushing foul, not a player control.

A kid who is going to attempt free throws is discovered to be bleeding before the free throws are attempted. He is directed to leave and has 20 seconds to remedy the problem or a substitute/TO must be made. Does the opposing coach get to choose one of the remaining 4 players or is it the substitute who attempts the free throws?

Thank you
1) The arc only applies to a player with the ball (or an airborne shooter), I think.

2) Any player. In NCAAW, it's always the sub. In NCAAM, the "opposing coach gets to choose" applies to injury, not blood.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:32pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Player A drives towards the basket and passes the ball to a teammate. After passing we have a crash with the defender in the arc.
Was it the primary or a secondary defender that took the contact?
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
Was it the primary or a secondary defender that took the contact?
It would have been the secondary. Does that apply though because its the player does not have the ball and is merely just like a pushing foul?
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:40pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAA Rule Book
A secondary defender cannot establish initial legal guarding position in
the Restricted Area for the purposes of drawing a player control foul/charge on
a player who is in control of the ball (i.e., dribbling or shooting) or who has
released the ball for a pass
or try for goal. When illegal contact occurs within this
Restricted Area, such contact shall be called a blocking foul, unless the contact
is flagrant. (Exception: When the offensive player leads with a foot or unnatural
extended knee or wards off with the arm.)
So if it was a secondary defender, it's a blocking foul. If it's the primary defender (i.e. a post sagging off her player in man defense, then that player driving into the RA and into the defender), whether a passing or shooting play, and you can have a typical pass-and-crash team control foul.

Last edited by HawkeyeCubP; Sun Feb 12, 2012 at 01:44pm.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Play 1
Rule 4, Section 35. Guarding

Art. 7. A secondary defender cannot establish initial legal guarding position in the Restricted Area for the purposes of drawing a player control foul/charge on a player who is in control of the ball (i.e., dribbling or shooting) or who has released the ball for a pass or try for goal. When illegal contact occurs within this Restricted Area, such contact shall be called a blocking foul, unless the contact is flagrant. (Exception: When the offensive player leads with a foot or unnatural extended knee or wards off with the arm.)

This restriction shall not prohibit a defender, located within the restricted area, from attempting to block a shot.

Quote:

Thank you
A.R. 68. A1 is fouled and his or her try for goal is unsuccessful. During the try, A3 is injured or is bleeding, has blood on his or her body, or his or her uniform is saturated with blood and he or she cannot continue to play.

RULING: The required substitute shall be permitted to enter the game before the first try of the multiple free throws. In addition, all substitutes who had legally reported to the official scorer before the player who had to be replaced may enter the game. A bleeding player, a player with blood on the body, or a player wearing a uniform saturated with blood has 20 seconds to resolve the issue. If the issue cannot be resolved in 20 seconds, that player is required to be replaced unless that player’s coach requests and is granted a timeout. When a substitute is required, all substitutes who had legally reported to the official scorer before the player who had to be replaced may enter the game. (Rule 3-4.3.a and .c)
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
1) The arc only applies to a player with the ball (or an airborne shooter), I think.
Right out of the rulebook under Men's Changes for 2012 and 2013.

Fouls and Penalties. 10-1.12.
A secondary defender as defined in Rule 4-61
cannot establish initial legal guarding position in the restricted area for the purpose of drawing a player control foul/charge when defending a player who is in control of the ball (i.e., dribbling or shooting) or who has released the ball for a pass or try. When illegal contact occurs within this Restricted Area, such contact shall be called a blocking foul, unless the contact is a flagrant foul.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

A.R. 68. A1 is fouled and his or her try for goal is unsuccessful. During the try, A3 is injured or is bleeding, has blood on his or her body, or his or her uniform is saturated with blood and he or she cannot continue to play.

RULING: The required substitute shall be permitted to enter the game before the first try of the multiple free throws. In addition, all substitutes who had legally reported to the official scorer before the player who had to be replaced may enter the game. A bleeding player, a player with blood on the body, or a player wearing a uniform saturated with blood has 20 seconds to resolve the issue. If the issue cannot be resolved in 20 seconds, that player is required to be replaced unless that player’s coach requests and is granted a timeout. When a substitute is required, all substitutes who had legally reported to the official scorer before the player who had to be replaced may enter the game. (Rule 3-4.3.a and .c)[/QUOTE]

So who can shoot the FT's? The sub for that player or any of them on the floor? The opposing coach has no say in who shoots, correct?
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:47pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
The NCAA books are available online, fyi.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:

RULING: The required substitute shall be permitted to enter the game before the first try of the multiple free throws. In addition, all substitutes who had legally reported to the official scorer before the player who had to be replaced may enter the game. A bleeding player, a player with blood on the body, or a player wearing a uniform saturated with blood has 20 seconds to resolve the issue. If the issue cannot be resolved in 20 seconds, that player is required to be replaced unless that player’s coach requests and is granted a timeout. When a substitute is required, all substitutes who had legally reported to the official scorer before the player who had to be replaced may enter the game. (Rule 3-4.3.a and .c)

So who can shoot the FT's? The sub for that player or any of them on the floor? The opposing coach has no say in who shoots, correct?
APG provided an A.R. that is not relevant. Team A's coach chooses a sub who would shoot the free throws. A.R. 62 and 199 apply.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:55pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
A.R. 68.So who can shoot the FT's? The sub for that player or any of them on the floor? The opposing coach has no say in who shoots, correct?
a sub from the bench. Not a player already on the court. And no, the opposing coach has no say.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
APG provided an A.R. that is not relevant. Team A's coach chooses a sub who would shoot the free throws. A.R. 62 and 199 apply.
Yup, you're right haha

A.R. 62. (Men) A1 is bleeding from a blow to the head and is unable to attempt his free throw(s). Is Rule 3-4.3.f concerning an injured player applicable?
RULING: The intent of Rule 3-4.3.f is to eliminate the situation whereby a poor free-throw shooter faked an injury so that he could be replaced by a higher percentage shooter. Obviously, a bleeding player is not faking an injury. Consequently, Rule 3-4.3.f is not applicable. The bleeding player shall be instructed by the official to leave the game for attention by medical personnel. His coach may exercise the option of substituting for the bleeding player or calling a timeout. (Rule 3-4.3.f and 8-2.2.a)
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
or who has released the ball for a pass or try.
Thanks (to all three of you) who included the part I forgot -- about releasing the ball on a pass.