The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 11:13pm
Back from the DL

Let the Coach Handle Him

After a JV boys game tonight (first high school game since my Achilles injury two weeks ago, not 100%, but I managed), I had a good discussion on the drive home with my partner, who also works football and baseball.

One thing we talked about is coaches stepping in and handling unsportsmanlike players. My partner says that, the basic football/baseball attitude is, if a coach is handling an unsportsmanlike player, the official doesn't have to as much. However, in basketball, we're a lot more likely to punish with the T, before the coach has a chance to subdue or shut up his player.

I don't work football or baseball, but I wondered if those of you that worked basketball and at least one of those feel the same way.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 11:41pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Absolutely.

We get coaches from every group - summer rep football, HS, and college, that always want to know about who's being a troublemaker out there.

I would say sometimes it's as high as 1 coach in 3 (and not too much less than that) that will want to deal with it before the refs do, so they ask us to tell them who's getting close.

I love it. There is a strong sense of discipline in football up here.

Having said that, it's in our mandate as Cdn football officials to use our voice to prevent fouls. It's so strongly stressed, that it is "almost a rule".

You would be amazed how players will turn their focus if you compliment them.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 02:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If a player is approaching the line, I will ask the coach to deal with it. If they run across the line, I'll take care of it. I see a lot of teammates stepping in now, too.