The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting responses... Thanks for weighing in.
At the time, it never crossed my mind to go with anything more to the player for what she said than a regular T. Looks like we have consensus on the forum so far that, as described, none would view it as flagrant-worthy.

However, I sure couldn't see letting that kind of behavior - from a player - occur without the regular T. It's interesting (to me at least) there are so many here that would have let that one go.

Btw, I didn't mean to imply in the original post (for any that might have read it that way) that I was puting off the coach or avoiding her. While she was requesting the time-out/interrupting my table reporting for the player T... and as I was shortly thereafter asking which flavor of time-out she wanted, I was nodding politely, acknowledging that she would soon get my full attention. I just wanted to be sure she was doing it on "her" time (via the time-out) as opposed to everyone else's...

Not sure if I mis-understood one or more of the replies but... are there also some here who - after having listened, answered, listened, answered, then listened more and heard enough to issue a warning - would not have T'd the coach when she then rolled out the "you guys need to call it both ways" as she walks away?

Just curious. I don't believe I would handle it differently if it happened again. (not why I'm asking...) It does make for some good reading, though, to see the different opinions.

Thanks.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 03:03pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukester View Post
I sure couldn't see letting that kind of behavior - from a player - occur without the regular T. It's interesting (to me at least) there are so many here that would have let that one go.
For me, based on those words, it really comes down to the tone. Was is a disrespectful tone? If so, T. If not, just answer her question.

It's not easy to put tone into a forum, so only you can truly decide if it's T-worthy.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
For me, based on those words, it really comes down to the tone. Was is a disrespectful tone? If so, T. If not, just answer her question.

It's not easy to put tone into a forum, so only you can truly decide if it's T-worthy.
+1

Yep...not so much WHAT she said, as HOW she said it.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 03:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
+1

Yep...not so much WHAT she said, as HOW she said it.
For some reason, I thought he'd told us what the tone was.

Oh yeah:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukester View Post
In stride as I move toward my spot, I reply “she got her on the arm.” H2 then points & follows up with (now in a sarcastic tone – not that it would necessarily matter) “you saw that from over there?”…
Sarcasm is risky behavior, I've got no problem with a T here (no way I'd go flagrant, though).
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Clear T on the player. No way that I'm not penalizing that.
For the coach, I would have finished reporting the foul, and then granted the time-out request (doubtful that I would have asked for 30 or full in this situation, just go with what was signalled by the coach or a full if verbal) and immediately walked to the other end of the court. You clearly knew what was coming, so why involve yourself in it?
Time-outs are not breaks to complain to the officials! Get the heck out of there.
However, since you got sucked in to a dialogue with the coach, my answer is yes her unsporting comments deserved a T.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Feb 09, 2012 at 04:35pm.