The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker

Defender has great position inside the low block. She is standing stock still with her hands straight up. As the dribbler comes screaming in parallel to the endline, defender "firms up" to take the charge, and in the process moves her hands back behind the plane of the rest of her body. Arms stay very straight. But at the last second, dribbler stops, scoops up the ball and shoots up and over. Defender's hands and arms come back into the plane, and as the players end up nose to nose, with virtually no body contact, their hands meet at the top. It almost looked like a high-5 with four hands. There was a definite slapping sound, but neither player ever moved her hands out of her plane. I no-called it, fans screamed, shot went, and the game moved forward.

Was I right?
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 08:24pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Yes.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

I would say that one of the players had to be out of the plane otherwise there wouldn't be contact. But as you describe it, the defender stayed within her vertical plane and thus is in legal guarding position. Sounds to me like you were right on.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Sounds like a good no call.

Clean up top, play on.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

That was the call ie no call as defender did no wrong.

You know by now that players coaches and fans have no understanding that defenders have rights.

I recently had a discussion with one of our senior educators about this and we all agreed that as long as they are within the cyclinder the player can shake and shimmy as much as they like.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

That was a kind of POE a couple of years ago here. If the defender has been on that spot since 1985, is straight up, and there is contact, why on earth would we penalize the defender? Sounds like a great no-call to me. The crap from the fans should be further evidence of that!
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
That was a kind of POE a couple of years ago here. If the defender has been on that spot since 1985, is straight up, and there is contact, why on earth would we penalize the defender? Sounds like a great no-call to me. The crap from the fans should be further evidence of that!
In my game last night I had a 5'8" player challenge a shot of a 6'4" player that had the ball over their head and then jumped.

Contact on elbow and all I hear is, "ALL BALL!"

The kid could not have reached the ball with a trampoline.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 01:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Juulie - one way to tell you made the right call is if the fans scream. The other is if at least one coach disagrees with you.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The reason I asked the quetsion is because the defender did move her arms and hands. They moved from well behind her head to straight up. They moved toward the dribbler, but never in front of the plane of her body. Because of the movement, it started to feel like a foul, but I held the whistle a second, and then realized that the contact was just literally straight up, hands only.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Juulie,
I would have loved to have seen that play! Sounds like a great no call. No body parts touching but hands, right? Couldn't be anything else in my book!
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
In my game last night I had a 5'8" player challenge a shot of a 6'4" player that had the ball over their head and then jumped.

Contact on elbow and all I hear is, "ALL BALL!"

The kid could not have reached the ball with a trampoline.
Hmmm, I had a kid in a game once with a step-ladder. Had a note from the state and everything. But never a trampoline