The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
I was talking with my mentor (who also happens to be one of the local HS and college assigners) this AM and we were disucssing various topics related to my development. He told me that given where I am now as an official, and where I want to go, the best thing I could do was watch D1 girls basketball. He said those guys are young (relatviely), have good judgement, game managment, and are driven as almost all of them want to be major D1 men officials someday.

In your opinion, where can we find the best officaited basketball today?
To answer the thread question - the best officiated basketball is the NBA (possibly Olympic level FIBA as well - the training those guys have to go thru is amazing).

But to answer your real question - Either you misinterpreted what you mentor said or its time to find a new mentor. In no way shape or form are D1 womens officials aspiring to work D1 mens. First of all a lot of them are women. Secondly, with very very few exceptions do you cross over from womens to mens. You can go women's to men's, but let's be real, that's not considered a lateral move by most. That statement by your mentor just does not make sense.

To get to the crux of your question, what you need to concentrate on attaining (not the same as your end goal mind you) is the very next level from where you are at. I've heard it said just about every camp I've been to. If you are a JV official, you need to worry about becoming a varsity official. If you are a varsity official, you can think about becoming a D3, NAIA, Juco level referee. If you are working D3, NAIA, juco, then we can start thinking about getting DII assignments, and then finally if you are solid DII official, you can start thinking about DI. Guys like Teddy V are an enigma. Chances are you're not. And if you are, you're not here posting this question.

So having said that, find guys that are considered good at that next level, not necessarily to imitate them, but take what they do well, make it yours and fit it in your game.

Last edited by eyezen; Wed Feb 08, 2012 at 09:59pm.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

No, because I'm a cowboy.

If I ever did a JV game(did one this season and only for a particular assignor/league) and didn't use a lanyard I'd be hooted out of gym everyone involved.

Like the weekend bike riders who wear the full metal jacket Lance Armstrong junior starter uniforms, strictly wannabes. That's how I view high school refs with no lanyards.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 10:39pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
I was talking with my mentor (who also happens to be one of the local HS and college assigners) this AM and we were disucssing various topics related to my development. He told me that given where I am now as an official, and where I want to go, the best thing I could do was watch D1 girls basketball. He said those guys are young (relatviely), have good judgement, game managment, and are driven as almost all of them want to be major D1 men officials someday.

In your opinion, where can we find the best officaited basketball today?
Depends on how you spell it....
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 11:26pm
Official & Member

Nutmeg State?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
My little corner of the Provision State.
I thought it was the Constitution State. Never heard Provision State.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 07:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

George Washington Slept Here, He Did, Really ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Never heard Provision State.
Connecticut was coined the “Provision State” by George Washington for the important role the state’s productive farms played in feeding the troops for the American Revolution.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 10, 2012 at 07:17am.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 07:00pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Connecticut was coined the “Provision State” by George Washington for the important role the state’s productive farms played in feeding the troops for the American Revolution.
Also, the Nutmeg State, I believe.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 10:42pm
Archaic Power Monger

I'm surprised nobody has suggested Southern California, the Land of College and Above!

That one's for you Jurassic, wherever you are...
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 10:58pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

SEC
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Your mentor is wrong -- most NCAAW D1 officials do NOT want to be D1 NCAAM officials.

You can find good officials (and bad officials) at all levels. You should watch at whatever level your goal is -- and recognize that you can learn what not to do as well as what to do.
Amen. To both statements........
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 02:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Considered Vulgar ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Also, the Nutmeg State, I believe.
We, here in the Land of Steady Habits, find that very offensive. Please cease, and desist.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 12, 2012 at 12:26pm.