The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Basketball played on an aircraft carrier?? Could happen

Get ready for UNC vs. Michigan State on an aircraft carrier - The Dagger - NCAAB - Yahoo! Sports

After reading the article, what are your thoughts of this idea?

Also where else should a basketball game be played that would help the game in publicity?
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 07:38am
In Memoriam

My thoughts are that they should only land jets during TO's.

The Globetrotters played a game on an aircraft carrier many, many years ago.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 08:03am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
And the Navy dropped them off on Gilligan's Island, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
The Globetrotters played a game on an aircraft carrier many, many years ago.
We all know where this thread is going......now, where is that International Date Line again?

Last edited by grunewar; Sat Nov 20, 2010 at 09:31am.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

LMAO The aircraft carrier would be in port for the game.

Maybe use one of the decommissioned units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
We all know where this thread is going......now, where is that International Time Line again?
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 09:22am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Swing and a Miss.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
LMAO The aircraft carrier would be in port for the game.
It's kind of an "inside joke" with some of the more long-standing members of the Forum.

Here's one link started by, you know who..... Phone call from Dave

Last edited by grunewar; Sat Nov 20, 2010 at 09:30am. Reason: added link
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

I absolutely love the idea. Glad to hear the ship will not be at sea!! Talk about playing the wind for your jump shot!!
Further, thoughts:
1 Cheerleaders would be a must. It was a lloooonnnngggg cruise!
2. Great way to honor service men/women.
3. Several places you could hold the game. The flight deck could pose a problem although using an arrester cable as OB's would be intersting
4. The losing teams fans/boosters may want not want their team to leave the ship.
5. Glad the ship will be in port. However, it would be interesting to see them 'play the wind' on jump shots!!
6. It would be EVEN BETTER if the AC was in port somewhere in the Middle East. Have some of the frontline troops get a chance to see a game live.
Ok that is my quick list. I will now return to my seat.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 12:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

You guys have good memories.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 01:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Thrill Of Victory, The Agony Of Defeat ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
You guys have good memories.
The Harlem Globetrotters played a game on the U.S.S. Enterprise aircraft carrier around 1966. I remember watching the game on ABC's Wide World of Sports.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 20, 2010 at 01:39pm.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 02:25pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Well, I hope they center the court properly. Would hate to see the NCAA step in with another Wrigley Field edict.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 03:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Man Overboard ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Well, I hope they center the court properly. Would hate to see the NCAA step in with another Wrigley Field edict.
If a player violates the backcourt rule, he'd better be able to swim.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

This one brings back great memories.

mick was a Michigan State fan. Every season, he would email me early on, telling me what Sparty had and asking me about the Heels. He always treaded Carolina-Michigan State games because they were his two favorite teams. He always pulled for the Spartans but he was also a closet Tar Heel fan.

They met many times over the past few years, twice in the Final Four in '05 and '09 and several times in the ACC-Big Ten challenge. He would always email me before/after the game. I guess I've now become a closet Spartan.

Whether they next meet on an aircraft carrier, in the Final Four, or on the moon, I bet mick will be watching.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

It's my understanding it was the conference, not the NCAA that made the Wrigley change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
According to the article they would like to do a doubleheader with two service academies playing beforehand.

How about Navy vs. Air Force?
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
It's my understanding it was the conference, not the NCAA that made the Wrigley change.

According to the article they would like to do a doubleheader with two service academies playing beforehand.

How about Navy vs. Air Force?
I would prefer Navy v Army. After all, the Navy are the ones who have to transport the green grunts to where they are going!
Again, I would love to see this played overseas and made military only. ESPN could/would broadcast it and it would be great PR all around. Especially, if $$ went to the Wounded Warrior fund or something of that ilk. If they just have it on the Intrepid or something in NY, I wouldn't be as big a fan. Also, remember these things are HUGE! They could play it "indoors" and STILL have flight operations. That would be fun!
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 06:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
I would prefer Navy v Army. After all, the Navy are the ones who have to transport the green grunts to where they are going!
Again, I would love to see this played overseas and made military only. ESPN could/would broadcast it and it would be great PR all around. Especially, if $$ went to the Wounded Warrior fund or something of that ilk. If they just have it on the Intrepid or something in NY, I wouldn't be as big a fan. Also, remember these things are HUGE! They could play it "indoors" and STILL have flight operations. That would be fun!
Really?

When I flew overseas for my deployment, there were plenty of soldiers on my Air Force transport. I've not heard of any troops going in by Navy ship in quite some time.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Judtech, the only problem is if they had the game setup where it was for personnel overseas would be security depending on the location.

Perhaps have the carrier ported in Japan or how about a memorial game to be played on Dec. 7 with carrier in/near Pearl Harbor.

Actually having Army vs. Navy would make the most sense as both are the oldest services, since technically the Air Force was originally part of the Army (Army Air Corps).

Yeah the hanger deck could be used to host the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post