The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

has anyone ever officiated a shut-out

fresh girls game about a month ago. team was shutout 38 to 0. coach of shut-out team apoligised to us before the game even started. closest thing to a made basket besides a few airball free thows was a breakaway layup that the girl hit off the backboard so hard that it did not even hit the rim. did my partner and i witness somekind of history
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 02:45am
Official Forum Member

Just last week. Girls C. 47-0. Thought the girl was going to hit her last free throw with 10 seconds left, but NO. Needless to say a good time was had by none.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 03:49am
Official Forum Member

I've had a few games where the losing team scored two points...even had one game where the losing team scored one point on a free throw with a minute left. Can't say though I've had the "pleasure" of officiating a shutout though.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 06:12am
Official Forum Member

Closest I had was 67-9. Was 32-2 at half, and winning team played a sagging zone during the 2nd half. Brutal.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 06:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Varsity level there was one game locally that ended 72-7. I can imagine the joy of that one.

I worked one last season that ended 83-22. Losing coach used all 5 of his timeouts in the first quarter and still got shutout 16-0.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

Anything can happen in a girls MS game.

I officiated a girls 8th grade game with the final score of 51-0. It was incredibly embarrassing for all parties involved. The losing team missed an untold amount of layups and foul shots. The winning team actually pressed through the third quarter. The winning coach is a nutbag who doesn't really have much knowledge about the game.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

This story appeared in the newspaper the same day that you wrote your original post.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...t.40d72ee.html

"The final score of the high school girls basketball game was 100-0..."
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

I had a 39-2 game in the girls' youth travel league (6th graders). The losing team was the second team from a school district, thrown together about three weeks before the season after another team pulled out. They got their two on a "steal" (pass dropped by opponents, bounced into somebody's hands) and layup with about 1:30 left in the fourth quarter. The parents from both teams went crazy celebrating.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This story appeared in the newspaper the same day that you wrote your original post.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...t.40d72ee.html

"The final score of the high school girls basketball game was 100-0..."
Excellent story about what happened, and how everyone views it. Have to love this from the winning (soon-to-be-former?) coach:

[In a brief e-mail statement Wednesday evening, Covenant coach Micah Grimes called his team's 100-point total "unfortunate."

"It just happened, and we are not happy about that," Grimes wrote. "Please know Covenant intended no harm against them. I see this as a real learning opportunity, so we can prevent this from happening in the future."]

It just happened?! Those triple-digit scores just sneak up on you out there, don't they? Especially when you hang 59 on the other team by halftime and continue to have your guards press their opponents for easy steals and layups.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PSidbury
Quote:
Originally Posted by refbater View Post
...coach of shut-out team apoligised to us before the game even started...
Yeah, I had a JV boys coach of a small private school come up to me before a game earlier this year and tell me, "Don't be surprised if we get our shorts handed to us."

His team ended up losing 59 - 9.

Paul
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 11:55am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I was speaking to a JV coach prior to a GV game I had at the school last night. He said his boys held back as much as they could and still beat a team something to 8. For the return match, he asked if he could have the freshman team play them instead. The other coach said that would be great, but that they would still be beaten soundly.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Had a BV game that finished something like 85-20..but the two teams didnt like each other, so every foul was hard. I remember we had several technicals as well. But the best part was the winning team allowing a "special" player rebound his miss and put it back in. I dont think I remember seeing a bigger smile in my life.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 12:16pm
Administrator

I have had three games in my career where the losing team failed to hit double digits. Two of the games were girls' H.S. varsity games (one in Michigan and one in Ohio), both teams were blown out by more than eighty points. The third game was a YBOA Girls' National Championship pool play game (11U) where the losing team got beat by over eighty points in that game too.

I did have one game (first game of the day at this particular sight on the first day of the tournamen) in a AAU Boys' (14U) National Invitational Championship pool play game where the final score was 110 to 10. The worst part about that game was that these two teams where in the only five-team pool in the tournament meaning that that one of the teams in the pool had to play two games in one day during pool play. The winning team (from FL) played again that evening. The Dir. of Off. always does a great job of making sure that an official does not see the same team twice during pool play. BUT, the Tourn. Dir. did not tell the Dir. of Off. that the had changed the schedule and guess who was one of the officials for the winning team's second game? Me, . And it did not go well; the team from FL was playing a team from NJ. The FL players game out with the attitude, based on their morning game, that everybody should just lay down before them and give up; the only problem was that the NJ team had the attitude that they belonged on the same court and the team from FL. My partner and I each had TF's on players from teh FL team during the first half. Late in the fourth quarter, with the FL team losing by about five points, my partner called a foul on the player he had T'ed up in the first half and this foul immediately led to the player getting to a second TF. This led to the player's HC running out on the court yelling at me about my partner's call on his player, while I was T'ing him up, that player who had just received his second TF decided to throw the PowerAide Jug (you know those big one that they use to dump drink and ice on the winning Super Bowl coach) on to the court. Game over, we are out of there, .

The best part of this mess was the FL coach accused my and my partner from being from NJ; my partner was a pretty good local offical (who I had officiated with before) from FL, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

the sad thing about my game was that the winning team's coach stalled for about the last minute and a half to secure the shutout
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Never had a shut out but had a girls JV a few weeks back that was 48-1. I had a small JH several years back whose boys 8th grade team never scored more than 8 points a game all season.