The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
One hand per NHFS and one can use two hand per NCAA Women's. But the two-hand mechanic is stupid and confusing.

MTD, Sr.
My understanding is that two hand reporting is REQUIRED in NCAA Women's and NCAA Men CAN use two.

NFHS is one hand and our assignor made it a point at our meeting tonight that with the playoffs coming up HS games call for HS mechanics. He added that those of you who use college mechanics in HS games should use HS mechanics in your college games and see how your assignors there like it. Only problem is I have worked games with the President of our Association where he's used two hand reporting.

Of the two main people who trained me in my early officiating career one was a former ABA guy who taught us many pro/college mechanics that are slowly trickling their way down. So I've been comfortable with two hand for a long time and it just feels better to me. And scorers have told me that it's easier to understand. I believe NCAAM went to optional two hand reporting two or three years ago and every year you see more and more of them using it.

It doesnt take very long to get used to and I would say the vast majority of people who have a choice will choose to go with two hands after they've tried it. I find that those who say it's stupid and confusing are those that haven't tried it, are wed to the idea of one hand reporting because that's how they've always done it, and/or those who are oppose to anything that comes from the NBA.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
It doesnt take very long to get used to and I would say the vast majority of people who have a choice will choose to go with two hands after they've tried it. I find that those who say it's stupid and confusing are those that haven't tried it, are wed to the idea of one hand reporting because that's how they've always done it, and/or those who are oppose to anything that comes from the NBA.
*Ding ding ding*
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.