The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I'm a first year official and have been told (as well as I have read in the book) that we are to report fouls within the rectangular area diagramed in the book. However, I see few officials that do! I've had some guys tell me "oh, you don't need to do that, just report from across the court and get on with the game." So, what SHOULD I do if I want to do it right? Thanks
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 10:34pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by IdahoRef
I'm a first year official and have been told (as well as I have read in the book) that we are to report fouls within the rectangular area diagramed in the book. However, I see few officials that do! I've had some guys tell me "oh, you don't need to do that, just report from across the court and get on with the game." So, what SHOULD I do if I want to do it right? Thanks
Those *some guys* are correct. You don't need to follow the mechanics manual.
Were those "some guys", by chance, the life-long, sub-varsity officials in your area?
Official's clinics stress proper mechanics.
mick

If we ain't gettin' better, we're gettin' worse
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You'll hear lots of different things from officials in your career. Just say, "thanks for the input" and nod your head. You need to decide what's valid and what isn't. Take what you like and put it to use and discard the other.

My two cents are that you can never be questioned for having mechanics that are by the book. Officials who take "shortcuts" in their mechanics in our area don't generally get very far.

Z
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 11:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

As of right now you need to go as close to the book as possible. As your career goes on, you will realize what you can keep strict and discard what is not as important. There is a fine line between doing all the mechanics perfectly and knowing what you need to do and can discard. As you grow as an official you will know what is important and what is not important.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 11:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Do it right. Nobody can argue with that.

I won't say I'm always in the rectangle, but I'd bet I'm in it more often than not.

Will something like this keep you from moving up? Maybe in your area, but definitely not in mine.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
I agree that you should do it right. But be aware that the NFHS enlarged that rectangular box and moved it a little further from the table a few years ago. It doesn't change your mechanics but it does allow you a wee bit more leway on where to stand when reporting a foul. Also remember to come to a complete stop prior to reporting in order to avoid mistakes by the scorer. If necessary wait until you have the undivided attention of the scorer before you report.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by firedoc
[B]I agree that you should do it right. But be aware that the NFHS enlarged that rectangular box and moved it a little further from the table a few years ago.

Check that! It is closer to the table 2005-07 Officials Manual. Page 37
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 01:09pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

It's good advice to report as the book says.

When you "get there" - whatever that means in your area - you can start taking some liberties and report from outside that area.

Until then, you're a sponge and don't let anything trickle out.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Thanks so much for your thoughts. For now, I'm going to do it like the book! I appreciate you guys.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Every time an official fails to use proper mechanics, s/he gives you an easy opportunity to be better than them in some way. It's low hanging fruit, pick it