The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 01:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Not much to say about the play, but I'm pretty sure I've heard that lady's voice in a few of my games this year.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Definitely a case of an official who initially sets up way too high as the C. Then he appears to be confused by A2 who breaks into the backcourt. IMO I think his concentration was off on the whole play from being engaged in a conversation with the coach when the ball when was getting ready to be put in play.
I love video clips!

I agree, notice the asst. coaches pulling the HC back. I bet anything he was frazzled. But you can really blame the T in this position, the C signal to him he was ready.

This appears to be from Cape Giradeau, MO - Show Me Center.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 01:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I just don't understand the positioning of the C....at all. I'm not sure the T has any clue what's going on with him, either.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 04:14am
Official Forum Member

I can see deeming this to not be a foul. The camera angle is basically 90 degrees different from the look the official on the court had, and perhaps the official actually had the better angle of view.
Here's why: while the contact looks severe from the camera angle and to those on the bench for the team in white, it may not have looked that way when viewing from an open look between the players. This pass is poor. It is thrown high and above the head of the intended teammate. It appears from the video that the defensive player jumps and gets his hands on the ball first. The offensive player is also jumping for the ball, but doesn't touch it. The players now come together. Here the official must decide if one player jumped into another or the two were in equally favorable positions to contest for the ball. If the official thinks the latter, then I can understand ruling the contact incidental and to be after the defender has knocked the ball away. The offensive player may actually jump into the side of his opponent as this player moves straight forward to continue his action with the ball.
Say what you wish, but I don't see this as the clear foul that so many others are stating.
If I had what I felt was a great look and made my decision, then a partner came in from the other side of the court with a whistle, I would be very disappointed in that person. What does that say about trusting your partner?
Afterall, he isn't screened out. He is standing right there staring at the action. Let him make the decision!

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Feb 08, 2012 at 04:19am.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

I'm caucusing with the folks who say this official just didn't seem to have his head in it (the game, that is ).

He's actually looking right at the collision and, for whatever reason actually has a great angle to see the bodies coming together and colliding. Daylight there, daylight gone, man closing fast, other man suddenly on the floor. One conclusion to make. It wasn't.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I can see deeming this to not be a foul. The camera angle is basically 90 degrees different from the look the official on the court had, and perhaps the official actually had the better angle of view.
Here's why: while the contact looks severe from the camera angle and to those on the bench for the team in white, it may not have looked that way when viewing from an open look between the players. This pass is poor. It is thrown high and above the head of the intended teammate. It appears from the video that the defensive player jumps and gets his hands on the ball first. The offensive player is also jumping for the ball, but doesn't touch it. The players now come together. Here the official must decide if one player jumped into another or the two were in equally favorable positions to contest for the ball. If the official thinks the latter, then I can understand ruling the contact incidental and to be after the defender has knocked the ball away. The offensive player may actually jump into the side of his opponent as this player moves straight forward to continue his action with the ball.
Say what you wish, but I don't see this as the clear foul that so many others are stating.
If I had what I felt was a great look and made my decision, then a partner came in from the other side of the court with a whistle, I would be very disappointed in that person. What does that say about trusting your partner?
Afterall, he isn't screened out. He is standing right there staring at the action. Let him make the decision!
I'm going to disagree, I think you're correct defender tips ball first, however subsequent contact disadvantages offensive player from securing tipped ball and for that I'm calling a foul.....at least from video. I do agree that I certainly would not reach and would also be disappointed if partner did same as official seems to have a good angle.

That said, perhaps he fell into the erroneous 'let em play' end of game philosophy.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Like fullor said, I understand what you're saying. I agree that in some cases, the ball can be tipped, there will be contact, and it may look like a foul when it really isn't. I just think that even with the angle we have from the video, the defender put the offensive player at a pretty big disadvantage when it came to retrieving the tip or going after the ball.

I know we don't poll coaches for decisions, but I don't know a coach that would complain if his player was called for a foul in this situation.

Also, I still maintain that the C was in a terrible position and was straight-lined. If he is in the frontcourt where he is supposed to be, he has a great 90 degree open look at the play.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 11:37am
Esteemed Participant

Even with his bad positioning, he is 15 to 20 feet away from an obvious foul, with no one between him and the play to block his vision. Guy just swallowed his whistle for whatever reason.

Could/should the C have gotten the call? Absolutely...but we have all had times where we see something and think "Oh wow. George will get that." And are shocked when "George" doesn't hit his whistle, and then it's too late.

Ugly play all around.