The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Final play of game

Last play 1 - YouTube

This is a video I found on our state's high school sports message board. It is from a different part of the state.

I can't figure out why the C is in the backcourt during the throw-in. It's almost like he is working like a Trail in 2-whistle when the ball goes to the opposite side of the court.

If you pause it at the moment the contact occurs, he is completely straight-lined to this play. If he is at the free throw line extended, he has a great angle. Instead he is standing at the division line.

Then the coach gets all the way in front of the other bench and doesn't get whacked until he eats on the C's a** well after the whistle was blown. This whole thing doesn't look very good.

Edit: My title is off. It isn't the final play of the game, but it's close to the end. I got confused by the title of the video on YouTube.

Last edited by zm1283; Tue Feb 07, 2012 at 01:03am.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 12:50am
(Something hilarious)

Ick. Starting position of the second trail aside, I've added this to a playlist under:
"Anticipate the play" and "Get the angle to see the space between players"
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Does it not seem that the tableside official was actually working T not C? That would explain why he's deeper than the opposite side official and why he's moving to become new L on the turnover instead of staying C and the opposite side official stays at C instead of moving to become new L.

It raises the question as to why the throw-in was administered by C but it at least explains that the tableside guy is doing.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Does it not seem that the tableside official was actually working T not C? That would explain why he's deeper than the opposite side official and why he's moving to become new L on the turnover instead of staying C and the opposite side official stays at C instead of moving to become new L.

It raises the question as to why the throw-in was administered by C but it at least explains that the tableside guy is doing.
I thought that may have been the case, but after the turnover, the new Trail (Original Lead on the throw-in) comes into the picture just for a second, and it looks like he came from the far side of the court where the ball was throw in originally. Why would they have the C administer the throw-in in the first place?
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 08:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Definitely a case of an official who initially sets up way too high as the C. Then he appears to be confused by A2 who breaks into the backcourt. IMO I think his concentration was off on the whole play from being engaged in a conversation with the coach when the ball when was getting ready to be put in play.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I thought that may have been the case, but after the turnover, the new Trail (Original Lead on the throw-in) comes into the picture just for a second, and it looks like he came from the far side of the court where the ball was throw in originally. Why would they have the C administer the throw-in in the first place?
You're right. I didn't notice the original L the first time.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Wow! There's a lot going on there. First of all, I agree with everyone that the C is way too high. It also looks like he may have lost himself a little and started to go the wrong way on the throw in. I'm sure we've all done this.

I think the bigger picture may be how the crew dropped the ball. Looking at the situation as a crew, first of all, I think the T put the ball in play too quickly. The C was just finishing a conversation with the coach. Why not give him a second to get composed. I always say in pregame, the biggest mistakes I've made on the floor have been due to getting in a hurry. We always can slow down and prevent some mistakes.

Also as a crew, this seems to be late in a competitive game. Why isn't someone else coming in with a late whistle on the foul, especially seeing that their C has completely abandoned the play. T especailly should have come across and got this, even L may have a decent look, but above all we have to remember to get the obvious.

Also, as a crew, give that last double whistle to the T, get the guy that is in hot soup away from the table. Obviously the coach is going to get a T, but C has himself deep in the soup, try to get him away as quickly as possible.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

I'm not quite as concerned as others about the positioning of the crew. (although it helps to be I the correct spots to see the play......).

What bothers me is that no foul was called...by ANYONE! That contact HAS to be called regardless of where you're positioned.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
Also as a crew, this seems to be late in a competitive game. Why isn't someone else coming in with a late whistle on the foul, especially seeing that their C has completely abandoned the play. T especailly should have come across and got this, even L may have a decent look, but above all we have to remember to get the obvious.
Not sure T got a good look. Looks like a blue player was between him and the play. If L was on opposite side, then he's looking through several players, if at all.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, if I'm the Trail here and I see it, this is a crew saver that I would definitely come across and get.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 09:56am

Could they be trying to get the "C" opposite table at the start of the play for a potential last-second shot?
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Nah, it really doesn't explain what the table side official is doing. By all appearances he lost concentration. It may have been the case that he wanted to move away from the coach because he'd just spoken with him but I have to think his assignor wouldn't consider that a valid excuse.

As for the throw-in being administered too soon, I don't buy it. At 0:08 on the clip the C - or the guy who should be C - gives a thumbs up to the T indicating he's ready to go. It's another six seconds before the whistle is blown and the ball is placed at the disposal of the throw-in team. Six seconds may not seem like a lot of time but it's more than enough for the C to realize he should be in a different spot. Six seconds is also enough time for the T to either stare down the C with a "where the heck are you going?" look or just blatently wave at him to move forward so he's in the right spot. The C might've been embarrassed at the moment but he would've thanked the T after it was over.

Regarding the foul, I definintely agree with the idea that somebody has to see/call that. The coach for Blue may complain if the call comes from the T and it comes late but he'd have a tough time arguing there was no foul. As far as handing out the T is concerned, given what the coach did ANYONE could've taken him. It didn't have to be the guy who was already in the soup. It's not as though all three of them didn't notice he was screaming at their partner by the division line.

Last edited by JetMetFan; Tue Feb 07, 2012 at 01:42pm. Reason: misspelled word
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 10:18am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

The C is in good position to help with a BCV. However, he should only do that when significant pressure exists near the DL. Seeing no significant pressure (or even any pressure at all!) near the DL, he should be much much deeper. If he couldn't get to the FLE, he should at least be at the 2nd p in Pepsi, and certainly not at the DL.

Bad positioning, likely because of a bad prediction on what is likely to happen.

That was a bad foul to miss. To me, that's an "oh my God" play, and if the L is close, it's a good one to get to save the crew.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think the tableside official (C) was caught off-guard; it looks like he points to the T that he's ready after the conversation with the coach. However, it is possible the C was using the "old" throw-in mechanic; back when the T handed the ball for the throw-in, the C would cheat back to cover any quick turnovers because the T would likely be caught up in traffic and not make it back to cover the play.

This very play illustrates why the mechanic was changed; when the T bounces the ball and backs up, it frees them to be able to cover the quick turnovers, allowing the C to be in position to officiate in the front court.

(Used with permission.)