The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 03:30pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Ref View Post
Should an official be scheduled to officiate during the regular season or playoffs a BV game when his wife is the girls JV coach at that school?

I think it depends hugely on the other circumstances. Is the school an hour away and your wife is the only one there you know, or is it next door to your home and multiple people greet you by name when you walk in the door?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 04:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I think it depends hugely on the other circumstances. Is the school an hour away and your wife is the only one there you know, or is it next door to your home and multiple people greet you by name when you walk in the door?
This is why I said "It depends." There are some schools I would go to where more people know me than the place I have an actual association with them. I would not likely want to accept a game that my family member is working at, but under the right circumstances I might rethink this. Having had my integrity questioned by fans because they think I live in one place compared to another, I can get over this perception if I did not have other options. I worked a State Final game with my current home town. I was not going to turn down the game for anyone.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 06:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Ref View Post
Should an official be scheduled to officiate during the regular season or playoffs a BV game when his wife is the girls JV coach at that school?
If you have to ask the question.....
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Irrelevant. Its the fact that the wife works there that is the conflict, not how many people know about it or how many other people you know.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 07:01pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Irrelevant. Its the fact that the wife works there that is the conflict, not how many people know about it or how many other people you know.

The perception of impropriety is more of a problem than actual impropriety, because it is infinitely more prevalent. Is the fact that the wife works there a problem for the official himself? (Oh my gosh, if they lose on a call I make, she won't speak to me all week.) This is extreme, of course, but the point is if thoughts of this nature would ever enter his mind, leave the game alone. If not, I don't see a problem.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The perception of impropriety is more of a problem than actual impropriety, because it is infinitely more prevalent. Is the fact that the wife works there a problem for the official himself? (Oh my gosh, if they lose on a call I make, she won't speak to me all week.) This is extreme, of course, but the point is if thoughts of this nature would ever enter his mind, leave the game alone. If not, I don't see a problem.
You have it backwards.

The issue is when the opposing coach (or someone connected the opposing team) finds out the referee's wife is a basketball coach for the other school (or even on the staff at that school in just about any capacity).

If there were any close calls in the game, it just them team ammunition that we don't need to give them. It appears like a conflict anyway you look at it from outside. It can only undermine the credibility of the official, the official's organization, and officials in general. At best, nothing comes of it, but the negative possibilities just are not worth it.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

No win, can't win, won't win.

I think you have a risk from all sides.

a. Opponents think you're biased in favor of relative's school.

b. Relative's school thinks you're tougher on them because you're afraid of being called biased.

c. The couch is mighty lonely.