The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

OK-- I expect jokes about both wife and gf !
but--
I was wondering if anyone else here ever has
them at their games. A couple weeks ago one guy
on my crew had his wife to the game. He said she
always goes (to keep track of him after ??).
My wife went to one softball game I umpired years
ago and never accompanied me to any other games
I officiated since. She could not tolerate the whining
about the officials from the spectators.
How about you ?
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

My wife attended the first game I ever called, and tht was her last. She swears she will never attend another as she cannot listen to the fans talk about the officials in the manner that they do.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

my fiance has been to two of my games this year, but i suspect that will end after we are married in the off season. she was able to get some pictures for our website though.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

When I first started doing football many, many years ago, all of the crew's wives would go to about three games a year if not too far from home. They had a great time, but I don't think they were watching us or too much of the game. In fact, as part of a half time show, a streaker ran through the band and into a cornfield! They had lots to talk about at that game.
After the game we'd all head for the local Iowa City official's hang out and join with all the rest of the crews that had worked that night. Lots of fun for all.
When I moved from Iowa to Minnesota that stopped.
More recently my wife went to a game of mine, but she was bored out of her mind since she was sitting amongst the fans and didn't know anybody.

[Edited by l3will on Nov 1st, 2005 at 05:19 PM]
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Not only my wife...

But my kids too attend about one football and baseball game I call a year
Usually one that is close by and we go for dinner/picnic afterward
Its nice to have someone on your side in the stands 8 )
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

My wife and 3 kids usually attend at least one game that I work per season.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Well let's see. Been married 33+ years. Wife has never been to a football game that I worked thar I can remember. Did go to a couple of my son's PeeWee games.
Has seen a few innings that I umpired in baseball and softball. Was there to drop or pick-up something.
Take that all back. She did come to one of the Softball World Series games I umpired. But I don't think she stayed for the whole game.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 04:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I've been married 9 years, and my wife comes to a few baseball, basketball, and football games each year. Only one varsity football game this season, but we have a new daughter.

Usually when she comes, somebody gets tossed, whacked, or flagged. Coincidence. Really.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

My third year of officiating FB and I have a pretty good fan base. My wife and 3 kids typically attend about 3 JV and varsity games a year, more if the games are close to home. She even brings my parents and her parents occasionally. She's a sports nut (Played D1 Basketball for 2 years) and the kids love coming to the games too.

My biggest concern is at half time, my kids (8,6,4) always come running over to me if we are leaving the field for halftime intermission, they give hugs and hi-5s, etc. I love all that, but I always have a little concern about anything that might look like there is favoritism. Of course none of the games are related to me or my family, I just wonder what the visiting team or fans would think if they saw that.

My 6 year old daughter loves telling the fans near her that "my daddy is the big guy in the middle". Hopefully they understand its the ump, not the d-lineman.

[Edited by gbfbump on Nov 1st, 2005 at 05:36 PM]
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 05:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have a girlfriend that I have been with for 6 years going on 7. We live together and have to deal with me when I come back from games.

She goes to many of my games in other sports when she can. She goes to very few football games. I usually leave sometime in the afternoon and she is either working or going to school or has other things to do. She does go to many more basketball games and a few baseball games. Also our crew rides together and that makes it difficult for her to come with me even if she wanted to. She does like going to my games and she is very supportive of my officiating career. She goes to banquets and other events around officiating. She definitely is special in that respect and I do not see many wives or girlfriends giving that kind of support openly. That does not mean behind the scenes other wives/girlfriends are not supportive, but they do not attend the same amount of games.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
My wife has come to one or two games but they are at her alma mater so I guess that really doesn't count. She too took some photos but they are from far away so they aren't all that close. I might post them, who knows.

Once when I was younger, 17, my girlfriend at the time came to a baseball game I was working. I guess a couple of girls sitting next to her made a comment about me. Something along the lines of "Look at the ump, I want to jump his bones...." something like that. Anyway, I guess a fight nearly broke out in the stands. She never came to another one of my games.

Thinking back, I wish me in my uniform had that effect on more women!!
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

My wife has been to a few of my games, but every time the fans start yelling, she says "What did you do wrong?!?"
Gee thanks for the support... now go cook my turkey pot pie!
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

My wife went to one for the 1st time this season. She said the only good thing about it was my butt looked pretty good in the knickers. That was the only thing she ever said when she saw me play sports in HS as well.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

My girlfriend goes to nearly every game with me - hot, cold, or pouring rain. Sometimes the person sitting next to her asks if she is here to watch someone in the game. When she says "yes, that one in the white hat and striped shirt", they usually just give her a funny look and say "oh".
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

My parents were in the stands when I did my Canada Cup game and my OVFL final. Other than that, no ones ever come to watch me.

I'm too young for a fiance or a wife so that's outta the question, and I'm still single so no gf to bring along.

I've had my uncle stop by on a few games I've done, but I don't think he came to watch me. (he's the president of the association and the assignor)

Honestly, I'd rather not have anyone come to watch me, it just brings on needless pressure, that could affect my game.

Although usually whenever someone shows up its a surprise and I don't catch them until later in the game so it works out all right.