The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Technical Fouls???

Coach receives a technical foul early in the game. Later, a player commits his 5th foul and is permitted to continue play. Once the books notice the problem, player is deemed disqualified. A technical was assessed to the book. Question is, does the technical go towards the coach as his second? It was called as a technical on the book and the coach was not disqualified.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:26am
We don't rent pigs

No technical on anybody. If the coach was not notified, the player was not disqualified.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtraver View Post
Coach receives a technical foul early in the game. Later, a player commits his 5th foul and is permitted to continue play. Once the books notice the problem, player is deemed disqualified. A technical was assessed to the book. Question is, does the technical go towards the coach as his second? It was called as a technical on the book and the coach was not disqualified.
Why would anyone get a T? The player can in theory get 20 fouls. IF the officials are NOT notified and subsequently they did not notify the coach why would you penalize him?
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
No technical on anybody. If the coach was not notified, the player was not disqualified.
This, and most states allow for direct and indirect T's for situations like this. In our state a coach walks after two direct T's, or any combination of 3 direct and indirect t's.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

By "assessed to the book" I assume you mean it was an administrative foul. How exactly would you penalize this? Sort of like assessing the bus driver a technical because the bus was late due to traffic, I guess.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:38am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
This, and most states allow for direct and indirect T's for situations like this.
Situations like what?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:41am
Administrator

Quote:
This, and most states allow for direct and indirect T's for situations like this. In our state a coach walks after two direct T's, or any combination of 3 direct and indirect t's.

Duffman:

You are missing the point. Under both NFHS and NCAA Rules, no one gets charged with a TF for what happened in the OP. And as far as your state and a HC receiving two Direct TFs or any combination of three Direct or Indirect TFs, that is a NFHS rule and not particular to your state.

What state are you in?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Duffman:

You are missing the point. Under both NFHS and NCAA Rules, no one gets charged with a TF for what happened in the OP. And as far as your state and a HC receiving two Direct TFs or any combination of three Direct or Indirect TFs, that is a NFHS rule and not particular to your state.

What state are you in?

MTD, Sr.
Confusion most of the time. I wasn't aware that was a uniform rule under the NFHS.

I understood the point, that in the OP no-one gets charged with a tech.

The OP also asked if there was a T in this case would it go toward the coach as his second. I was simply trying to say in the event it was a t it would count toward the coach, but it would be an indirect which wouldn't get him tossed as I saw no other point of asking the question. Unless you are aware of some sort of T that DOESN'T count toward a coach as either a direct or indirect.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

why would it count towards the coach? and whats the point to answering a hypothetical with an incorrect rule?

the answer is that IT WILL NEVER BE A T and therefore you dont have to worry about it being charged to the coach. If you DO assess a T then you are WRONG and you might as well assign it to the coach, the mascot and even the grandparents in row 5.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 01:41am
Archaic Power Monger

Duffman, there are several infractions where a technical is charged only to the team. The chart in the back of your rule book is a good breakdown of how the various fouls are assessed.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 02:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Confusion most of the time. I wasn't aware that was a uniform rule under the NFHS.

The OP also asked if there was a T in this case would it go toward the coach as his second. I was simply trying to say in the event it was a t it would count toward the coach, but it would be an indirect which wouldn't get him tossed as I saw no other point of asking the question. Unless you are aware of some sort of T that DOESN'T count toward a coach as either a direct or indirect.
I don't want to come across too harsh, but you should really spend some time in the rule book. If you're going to toss a coach, it would be a good idea to know why.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 02:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
why would it count towards the coach? And whats the point to answering a hypothetical with an incorrect rule?

The answer is that it will never be a t and therefore you dont have to worry about it being charged to the coach. If you do assess a t then you are wrong and you might as well assign it to the coach, the mascot and even the grandparents in row 5.
+2
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 02:15am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtraver View Post
Coach receives a technical foul early in the game. Later, a player commits his 5th foul and is permitted to continue play. Once the books notice the problem, player is deemed disqualified. A technical was assessed to the book.
It is uncertain from this description exactly how all this came down. But everybody knows (don't they?) that had the 5th foul/disqualification process gone as it should, and then this player is allowed to reenter the game, it would indeed be a technical foul. It would be on the head coach. And it would not be an indirect.

But everybody already knew that.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 05:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Duffman, I think I understand what you were asking. Correct me if I'm wrong but you want to know if the coach was notified and the disqualified player either stayed in or returned to the game, what happens?

In that case the head coach would receive a direct technical foul. Here's the case book ruling:

10.5.3 SITUATION:

A5 has just received his/her fifth foul of the game. A5 (a) is erroneously permitted to remain in the game for another two minutes before the scorer realizes the mistake; or (b) leaves the game after the coach is notified of the disqualification. At the intermission between the third and fourth quarter, A5 reports as a substitute and subsequently enters the game.

RULING: In (a), as soon as the error is discovered, the player is removed from the game, no penalties are assessed. In (b), A5 will not actually "participate" until the ball becomes live. If detected prior to the ball becoming live, A5 would be directed to the bench and no penalty assessed unless the official deemed it was a deliberate attempt to circumvent the rules. If detected after the ball becomes live, it is a technical foul charged directly to the head coach resulting in the loss of coaching-box privileges. The player is immediately removed from the game and Team B is awarded two free throws and the ball. (2-11-5 Note 2)
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And if the coach had been notified and the DQ'd player then played (which is how I took the OP), who would get the T? (that's a rhetorical question)