The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 09:20am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I'm actually going to disagree. There was definitely a foul -- 2 hand push in the back -- when the player caught the ball. You can see that he was moved away from the basket. I will give the official the benefit of the doubt and believe that he was calling THAT foul (late) and correctly ruled that it was before the shooting motion started.
The contact you are referring to happened at 46 seconds. The official's whistle went off at 48 seconds, right as the player is hovering the rim about to dunk the ball!

I've heard of a patient whistle, but that's absurd!
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 09:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Is this video from high school? I wiki'd him and he played HS ball from 1996-2000 in Maine.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 09:51am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Is this video from high school? I wiki'd him and he played HS ball from 1996-2000 in Maine.
Same name, different guy.

Apparently Mamadou N'diaye is the John Smith of Senegal
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

No Foul!

Quote:
I'm actually going to disagree. There was definitely a foul -- 2 hand push in the back -- when the player caught the ball. You can see that he was moved away from the basket. I will give the official the benefit of the doubt and believe that he was calling THAT foul (late) and correctly ruled that it was before the shooting motion started.
This kid in 7'5" 310 lbs. I need to see more than that to call a foul on that play. The contact had no effect on the shot. It was like a gnat landing on an elephant! This kid can play through a lot and I'm going to let him. I'm not going to let the defense do whatever they want or get too physical, but that was definitely not a foul. Neither was the other one called later in the video.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 11:10am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
This kid in 7'5" 310 lbs. I need to see more than that to call a foul on that play. The contact had no effect on the shot.
There was probably not a foul on the shot, but there was a definite foul prior to that on the catch. The defender has 2 hands in his back pushing him forward away from the basket while he has the ball. That is an "absolute", IMHO.

So I'm assuming (to be generous to the official) THAT's the foul that was called.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I do not like the call at the 0:48 mark at all and 2 or 3 of the "and ones" they gave him look VERY soft too me. Of course this is looking at it on video with one angle but based on the limited view I'm not a big fan of those whistles. But I recognize it's not easy to referee a guy that size at any level, let alone high school.

I agree with someone else and would like to see how he looks on the defensive end. He looks to have very slow feet, which is what you'd expect from someone that huge. But 7'5 is 7'5. Will be interesing to see how he develops.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 11:30am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
So I'm assuming (to be generous to the official) THAT's the foul that was called.
If that *was* the foul he called (and I'm not convinced), waiting two whole seconds to blow your whistle once the kid is about to dunk the ball is still awful officiating.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

The contact had 0 effect

Quote:
There was probably not a foul on the shot, but there was a definite foul prior to that on the catch. The defender has 2 hands in his back pushing him forward away from the basket while he has the ball. That is an "absolute", IMHO.

The kid pushes him a little and moves him more because Mamadou is reaching for the ball and did not have both feet flat on the floor. I know, irrelevant as to whether he was displaced, but having a patient whistle on this gets us a no call. That was not a foul, even though he had two hands in the back.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

I had the pleasure of seeing this kid when he came into town last spring. He was playing for some traveling team against other national talent. One kid went down and dunked on him, so he immediately ran up the court and dunked on the kid in return. It was pretty awesome.

I wasn't assigned that game, but I'm glad I stuck around and watched.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I actually worked one of his games this year. It was actually not even funny or anyway near fair for the other team.
Fair shmare. Should he be ineligible because of his height? Should NFHS outlaw pitchers who can throw 90+?
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Toren, in the Adidas tourney?
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I don't think you're right on that Mark ... he went up with a fist, bird-dogged, and pointed to the floor (to indicate that the foul was before the shot).

Also, a 3-second call there would be horrendous ... if he calls it as soon as Mamadou received the pass, fine ... but he makes a continuous move to the basket to score, so 3-seconds does not apply.
Agreed, it's a horrible call.

And how in the world does this guy not win every jump ball?
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Toren, in the Adidas tourney?
Yes sir.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 04:06pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
The kid pushes him a little and moves him more because Mamadou is reaching for the ball and did not have both feet flat on the floor. I know, irrelevant as to whether he was displaced, but having a patient whistle on this gets us a no call.
You just said he had the ball and was displaced. Yet it's a no-call???? Disagree.

Quote:
That was not a foul, even though he had two hands in the back.
Two hands on the ball-handler is a foul. Period. This is an "absolute" at the college level (for men, anyway). It's a good -- and EASY, I might add -- way to quickly clean up a game. Add the displacement (away from the basket, no less!) and it's a foul at any level, IMHO.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 04:06pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
If that *was* the foul he called (and I'm not convinced), waiting two whole seconds to blow your whistle once the kid is about to dunk the ball is still awful officiating.
I said I was trying to be generous. . .