The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

2 Questions

First is a made basket with an intentional foul. I've seen it administered in 2 different ways this year. I've seen the and 1 FT followed by 2 intentional foul ft's and I've seen only the 2 intentional foul ft's given. Which is the appropriate way to handle this?

Second, this is a new one on me, but I had a kid on the FT line the other night. Shooting team has ball. Player from shooting team (before she gets ready to shoot) fakes like she is stepping in which cause the non shooting team to step in? What you got here?

Thanks ahead
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate1224hoops View Post
First is a made basket with an intentional foul. I've seen it administered in 2 different ways this year. I've seen the and 1 FT followed by 2 intentional foul ft's and I've seen only the 2 intentional foul ft's given. Which is the appropriate way to handle this?

Second, this is a new one on me, but I had a kid on the FT line the other night. Shooting team has ball. Player from shooting team (before she gets ready to shoot) fakes like she is stepping in which cause the non shooting team to step in? What you got here?

Thanks ahead
The latter

Faking on team A - immediate violation and ball awarded to team B

Last edited by eyezen; Thu Feb 02, 2012 at 01:05pm. Reason: correct terminology
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

1) 2 FT's for the intentional foul regardless if the ball goes in or not.
2) Violation on the offensive team for faking going in.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
The latter

Disconcertion on team A - immediate violation and ball awarded to team B
It's faking, not disconcertion, but the ruling is correct.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

The penalty for INT personals are 2 shots & the ball closest to the spot of the foul... unless a 3 pointer is involved.

9-1-3b
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks ahead
How many shots for IT?
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

In answer to the first:

4.19.3A: B1 is charge with an intentional foul on A1 who is in the act of shooting: (a) a successful two-point or three-point try; (b) an unsuccessful two-point try; or (c) an unsuccessful three-point try. RULING: In (a) and (b), A1 is awarded two free throws. In (c), A1 is awarded three free throw. In all situations following the free throws, Team A is awarded a throw-in at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul.

In answer to the second:

9-1-3b: After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower the free thrower shall not fake a try, nor shall any player in a marked lane space fake to cause an opponent to violate.

If the first or only violation is by the free thrower or a teammate, the ball becomes dead when the violation occurs and no point can be scored by that throw. Team and spot of the resulting throw-in depends on type of foul having occurred to cause the free throws.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
How many shots for IT?
The same as for any (direct, when the end of the game isn't a factor) T. What does this have to do with the OP?
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks ahead
I think you have the rules references now.

Be careful that you administer the ball correctly after the shots. Some referee's will mistakenly administer the same as a technical foul, but as you now know this is incorrect.

I had a buzzer beater last weekend, where the intentional was clear on the other side and because we administered correctly after the shots, we brought the ball back and the defense stole the ball and hit the game winner.
These things matter.