The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

legal play?

I have two questions but need clarification on the first before I post the second: A1 has used his dribble and then bounces the ball off the body of an opponent. The ball comes right back to A1 either in the air or off the floor. A1 catches the ball and begins a new dribble. Legal play?
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 01:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Legal play. He passed the ball, another player touched the ball, he regained possession.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 02:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'll Take Illegal Dribble for $100, Alex ...

Too simple. Let's twist this around: A1 has used his dribble. B1 reaches out to make a steal, and simply touches the ball, without A1 losing possession. A1 begins a new dribble. Legal play?

Bonus question: A1 has used his dribble. A2 running near A1, reaches out, and simply touches the ball, without A1 losing possession. A1 begins a new dribble. Legal play?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Too simple. Let's twist this around: A1 has used his dribble. B1 reaches out to make a steal, and simply touches the ball, without A1 losing possession. A1 begins a new dribble. Legal play?

Bonus question: A1 has used his dribble. A2 running near A1, reaches out, and simply touches the ball, without A1 losing possession. A1 begins a new dribble. Legal play?
There's your answer.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Well, the next situation I had is somewhat similar to yours BillyMac. A1 is dribbling toward the baseline. As she turns the corner toward the basket she palms the ball, turns the hand over and continues to dribble. My partner the L calls the violation. After the game he has doubt about the call because he said the ball touched an opponent while A1 was in the process of carrying the ball. We looked it up to be sure and of course 4-15-4 says ..."and causes the dribbler to lose control." So in this play and yours BillyMac the violation is the correct call. But this caused me to think about my previous question in that A1's act of bouncing the ball off an opponent really didn't cause A1 to lose control of the ball. However, as BNR said, we've always interpreted that act to be a pass that was touched or touched by another player making it legal to begin another dribble.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 04:16pm
We don't rent pigs

Possession is the wrong word to use here. Did he lose control? Defender knocks the ball out of his hands for even a split second. This is a loss of control. Player may dribble again.

Lonesome Dove