The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   legal play? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86946-legal-play.html)

billyu2 Sun Jan 29, 2012 01:48pm

legal play?

I have two questions but need clarification on the first before I post the second: A1 has used his dribble and then bounces the ball off the body of an opponent. The ball comes right back to A1 either in the air or off the floor. A1 catches the ball and begins a new dribble. Legal play?

Raymond Sun Jan 29, 2012 01:51pm

Legal play. He passed the ball, another player touched the ball, he regained possession.

BillyMac Sun Jan 29, 2012 02:20pm

I'll Take Illegal Dribble for $100, Alex ...

Too simple. Let's twist this around: A1 has used his dribble. B1 reaches out to make a steal, and simply touches the ball, without A1 losing possession. A1 begins a new dribble. Legal play?

Bonus question: A1 has used his dribble. A2 running near A1, reaches out, and simply touches the ball, without A1 losing possession. A1 begins a new dribble. Legal play?

La Rikardo Sun Jan 29, 2012 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 817836)
Too simple. Let's twist this around: A1 has used his dribble. B1 reaches out to make a steal, and simply touches the ball, without A1 losing possession. A1 begins a new dribble. Legal play?

Bonus question: A1 has used his dribble. A2 running near A1, reaches out, and simply touches the ball, without A1 losing possession. A1 begins a new dribble. Legal play?

There's your answer.

billyu2 Sun Jan 29, 2012 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 817836)

Well, the next situation I had is somewhat similar to yours BillyMac. A1 is dribbling toward the baseline. As she turns the corner toward the basket she palms the ball, turns the hand over and continues to dribble. My partner the L calls the violation. After the game he has doubt about the call because he said the ball touched an opponent while A1 was in the process of carrying the ball. We looked it up to be sure and of course 4-15-4 says ..."and causes the dribbler to lose control." So in this play and yours BillyMac the violation is the correct call. But this caused me to think about my previous question in that A1's act of bouncing the ball off an opponent really didn't cause A1 to lose control of the ball. However, as BNR said, we've always interpreted that act to be a pass that was touched or touched by another player making it legal to begin another dribble.

just another ref Sun Jan 29, 2012 04:16pm

Possession is the wrong word to use here. Did he lose control? Defender knocks the ball out of his hands for even a split second. This is a loss of control. Player may dribble again.